+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: tying small flies with hackle

Default tying small flies with hackle

Hey folks--

I'm getting to be pretty decent at tying size 18 dry fly patterns--except when it comes to whip finishing and tying off. I have a problem keeping the hackle out of my turns with the thread late in the game, especially when it comes to parachutes. Often I'll tie down some hackles inadvertently and they'll cover the eye. Does anyone have any suggestions for amending this, other than practice? Would a hackle guard help much? I know someone on this board recently praised the Thompson whip finisher as a great tool for small trout flies, but responses seemed to be mixed as to whether the tool is really any better in this situation than the Matarelli (which I'm currently using). If anyone's got any ideas for me, I'd love to hear 'em.

And by the way, this board and its responsive members have been a tremendous help to me as I'm learning the craft. Many thanks to everyone.

Best,

Dave

Big problem with selling flies these days is the cheap prices you can get them for on ebay. They are $6 to $9 a dozen all over the place and I saw on auction where they were 36 midges for $12 and change. Worse part is that our own guys have gone over to teach these foreign 3rd world countries how to properly tie a fly. I took a good look at them at the Somerset show and I am telling you they are nicely tied. Tough to compete . I still buy from shops where I know locals tie them or trade for flies with my friends.

If trapping a few fibers is not a big thing to AK it is not a big issue for me either...

But I tye my flies to be fished....Not that I tye sloppily for fishing either....But it's up to each individual Tyer...To determine for themselves what is exceptable in their own tying. Hope you find what suits you and your tying...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

Dave.

Try taking a small diameter straw, like the ones you get when you buy a cup of coffee at a 7-11 and cutting it into short pieces, say 3/16 inch. Before starting your fly thread the piece on your tying thread. It may or may not fit over the head of your bobbin, but when you get ready to tie the fly's head, slip the straw up your thread and cover the hackle. A cheap hackle guard. Works great for me. This is not my idea but one I found in the fly tying tips section of this site.

Tim Anderson

A hackle guard won't help. They just get in the way IMO. When you are ready to finish a parachute grab the hackle and the post together and pull them back. If you can't get all of the fibers readjust your grip and try again. If no matter how hard you try there are one or two or three fibers that pop out on you just give them a quick trim and finish off your head. When you've finished the fly the hackle will look a little messed up, but 30 seconds worth of preening will have it back to it's original appearance.

As far as the whip finish I use a matartelli. Since I'm holding the hackle and post in my left hand I won't be able to hold the bobbin so I pull out quite a bit of extra thread. Then I load the whip finisher and drap the tail end that goes back to the bobbin over my left pinky and grasp the hackle and post with my left hand. The thread will feed over my pinky into the whip finish and the weight of the dangling bobbin will hold tension in the system nicely. When it's finished I just let go of the hackle and grab the bobbin in my left hand again to tighten the knot.

Jeremy

Try using a half hitch tool. The half hitch will push the hackle back and then you can whip finish or just use a few more half hitches.
    Turk

djamieson;
    I use a half hitch tool like turk. I also tie using a gallows that lets me pull the hackle to the back and out of the way. A Power Zap cauterizer takes care of the wayward hackles.

------------------
    Don't forget the Michigan Fish-In August 14th to the 20th. The Holy Water's of the Au Sable await you!!

Cactus

There are alot of tricks that can help you with that problem. On a parachute style try tying the whip finish around the parachute post instead of the hook eye. I have been playing with that technique and it works pretty well with practice. On a conventional hackle you could tie it backwards. Tie it in at the eye where you want the hackle to end, wind the thread back toward the hook bend to where you want the other end of the hackle collar, wind the hackle back to your thread and tie it off. Then you can wind your thread carefully through the hackled area back to the eye and whip finish. You can also fix the problem after the fact. After you have tied off and clipped the thread, take a metal hackle guard and hold all the hackle you want out of the way. Then burn off the errant hackles with a lighter. It only takes a split second. Be careful with a flame around head cement. Do this before you cement the head and be careful not to catch your fly on fire.

Turk and Jack have my vote. A half hitch will get the errant fibers out of your way and then, if you feel compelled, you can then more easily add a whip finish.

I think this is a case for being able to tie a whip finish by hand. Its much easier to finish a small fly using one hand to keep fibres out of the way, and holding the bobbin tight. While the other doing the whip finish. No tools to get in the way.
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

+ Reply to Thread