+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: To many reels, I am lost, Help !

Default To many reels, I am lost, Help !

Sorry to bother you all.

I am looking for a new reel to match with a great new rod I've just bought.
    It's a 7wt rod (9') and I plan to do some saltwater flyfishing with it (but also some fresh...)

So here are my final candidates:

- Ross Rythm
    - Galvan Rush
    - Tioga Magnum
    - Tibor light backcountry
    - Hardy MLA

I can find all of them for almost the same price (the tioge is a little bit cheaper) and plan to buy a spare spool for playing with two lines.

Thanks for your thoughs.

[This message has been edited by Guile (edited 26 March 2005).]

Dear Guile,

I won't comment on your selection of potential reels other than to say that they all seem to be good choices.

I will say that you might want to consider a multi-tip line in place of the spare spool and additional line. They are compromises, but they also cost a lot less than a spare spool and additional line. For about $ 120.00 you can get a floating, intermediate, slow sinking, and fast sinking tip section. It will cost you at least $ 200.00 for a spare spool and two lines.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

[This message has been edited by Tim Murphy (edited 26 March 2005).]

Thanks Tim for your advise.
    I was Thinking about those multi-tip lines, but I never tried one. I am afraid of not having the same feeling in cast than the regular lines. I am afraid of kind of dead spots on the line (at the junction).

Buy if it's a really great tool why not ...

Dear Guile,

To be honest I have only used the multi-tip lines on a 9 weight rod for saltwater fishing.

With a rod of that weight casting flies that are often heavily weighted or highly wind resistant I don't think the multi-tip line causes any problems via hinging at the junctions of the tip sections.

Regards,
    Tim Murphy

Of your given choices: Hardy MLA

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

Hi Guile,

My personal choice would be a system 2 reel, preferably the old style. The drag system on them is amazing, I've never had a system 2 reel back lash me when I've hooked a big fish like some other reels I have owned. My first system 2 reel an 8/9, I've had it for about 15 years and it has never failed me yet. Another thing about the system 2 reels is that the new spools will fit the old reels and the same the other way. Not to many reels out there will do that. I know my preference is not on your list but I think it is worth looking into and they won't cost you an arm and a leg.

Thanks,
    salmonguy
    Catch & Release Works...

I recommend the Ross. A Lamson Velocity would be my first reco, but you may have already ruled that one out.

Thanks for the advice.
    I ruled out the Lamson velocity, because I've read that the spool chnaging could be tricky on the water-side...

I've decided to go for the Galvan Rush which have the same drag than the Torque.

I think the Ross Rythm is to light to balance my rod correctly (a T&T Horizon).

You can't go wrong, Glavans are a great deal. And, the next time you buy a reel, you can get another one from your list.

Best,

-John

I just bought a Lamson velocity and I can't figure out why it would be a problem changing spools?? it has to be the most simple spool to remove ever.. just pull it off and change it. No screws or small parts to drop in the river, the only problem would be if you dropped the actual spool in the water, but I think you'd have that problem with any reel.

+ Reply to Thread