+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Tying Materials

The best disinfectant there is, is 9 cups of water, to 1 Cup of Chlorine Bleach. It should not cause color fading, and will kill any know bacteria, virus, or other germ bug.

Have used 9:1 disinfectant mixture in the kitchen, when working with chicken. Never had "Sam from Manila" ever make an appearance.

~Parnelli

Keep your eyes open at yard sales for old fur coats, coat collars,and hats.
    Also some kids toys have some of the synthetic hair products that are useable.
    Paint brushes, lipstick tubes for hair stackers....also large guage bullet casings or shot gun shells.
    35mm film cannisters can be loaded with steel wool and a hole drilled in the cap to use as a head cement remover from the dubbing needle.
    Sandwich bags can be used for scud backs.

Wine bottle corks can be used for poppers.

Take a walk in the local park and pick up loose duck or goose feathers but I would be very careful about this since we have to worry now about bird flu. If you elect to do this, I would be meticulous about cleanning them thoroughly immediately and then storing them in a baggie with lots of mothballs.
    For the moment that is all I can think of but may add more later.

Forgot to add that there are loads of embroidery threads, some metallic that make great midges.
    Old jewelry and or garments that have the glass seed beads.
    some fruit at the grocery storecomes with a foam wrapping that can be used especially for indicator posts on foam beetles or other flies.
    black clothing price tags made of mono can be heated/melted to make eyes as can regular fishing mono and some hair brushes that have a little glob of plastic on the end of the bristles are great for eyes.
    Glue guns and hot melt glue.
    Can't think of anything more but visit the craft stores and check EVERYTHING. You will find more for less on many items but the flyshops really do carry the best items for quality flies.

Default Fly Tying Materials

Would anyone like to add to the list of cheap fly tying materials? Ones I have not seen here include Koosh balls for great rubber legs, ( just pull them out of the ball ), fine Easter grass for sparkle, 1/8 inch wedding ribbon that makes great flashback wing cases and irridescent wings, needles super glued into a simple bamboo skewer for different sized bodkins, fine Christmas tinsel for flashabou, woven nylon ribbon ( this one shades from dark brown to moss green) for wings. I think a lot of the yarns; punch, needlecraft, Lydia, have been discussed, but are there simple things I have overlooked in my trips to sewing and craft stores?

The funny part is that anyone can get enough material to tie flies simply bouncing between three departments in walmart; Cosmetics, crafts, and fishing. It's all there! LOL
    Oh.... and My daughter is kinda mad at me here recently because I stole several of her foam letters she plays with in the bathtub, and punched out some popper bodies.
    ------------------
    "There's a fine line between fishing and standing on the shore like an idiot"

[This message has been edited by Harebear (edited 23 March 2006).]
    Hare

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati .... "When all else fails...Play dead"

Cardinal,

Let's see:

- foam 8-1/2 x 11" sheets in 2ml and 5ml
    - foam flip-flops
    - monofilament sewing thread(good for tying and fine tippet 6 or 7x)
    - beads
    - fly boxes, especially the small compartment ones at WalMart
    - ostrich duster
    - maribou boas
    - Easter egg dyes
    - Reading glasses at the 'Dollar Tree' store(everything a buck)

That should keep you busy for awhile.

Allan

Christmas tinsel - the shiney stuff that my wife says should be hung one strand at a time. I used some red for a bright flash in white marabou tails. Looked great. I know that there are other colors too. A package should last a lifetime or two.
    CJ

------------------
    The only limitations we have are the ones we put on ourselves.

+ Reply to Thread