+ Reply to Thread

Thread: hook identification

Default hook identification

I have a quanity of mustad hooks that I got when I bought a 'grab bag' of tying materials at a yard sale. The hooks are all organized in little plastic pill boxes, unfortunatly the stick-on labels have come off.

The hook charts I have tried are great for finding an equivelent hook made by several manufactors, but the graphics are not acurate enough for me to identify an unknown hook shape and size. I find it particulary difficult to determine hook size, for example is it a size 12, 1x shank or a size 10, 2x shank.

Short of bringing my collection to a friendly shop and doing a one-one comparison I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

[This message has been edited by kengore (edited 21 March 2006).]

Try this site. Click on the hook #.
    May take a while, get comfortable. [url=http://www.mustad.no/classic/index.php:504c3]http://www.mustad.no/classic/index.php[/url:504c3]

Peter

For checking size, Griffin's hook and hackle gauge might work. You hold the hook up to the printed hooks on the gauge. It works for a limited range of sizes but good for a quick check.

Jay

Hey Kengore, I'll try to find it, but there is a site that has the actualy sizes of the hooks etc.. and if you need to you can print it out but it worked fine on the screen for me. I wanted to try a new model of hook but match the size for the previous hook I was using (partridge to mustad), and it worked perfectly. I'll try to find it, and it may be that mustad site posted previously.

I checked and I think that Mustad site was the one. You can go to the main page and see all the hooks and try to go from there. It still might take awhile but if you know what type of hook it is you should be able to find it and the sizes are shown to scale on the monitor.
    Jeff

[This message has been edited by Jgoding (edited 21 March 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread