+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Magic heads

Middle Branch, basically any streamer can be augmented with a lip to provide action and some diving ability. The advantage of the sequin on pin is the ability to tune the action by bending the pin. Every fly pattern is different and no single lip size and angle will do the same for all.

Here's some on a foam block with a dab of epoxy applied:

Bend the pin head 90 degrees with needlenose pliers, put the sequin on and then slide it flush into the block. You can cover the whole sequin with epoxy and use thick pins if you want extra durability.

Here it is mounted on a hook:

How do I know it'll ride hook point up? Well, a lot has to do with hydrodynamics and the center of gravity. For example, a hair wing will want to be 'topside'. Just play around until it swims true and catches fish!

fishfranky,

That's awesome! I appreciate you posting the pics --- I read your description in an earlier post but I just couldn't visualize .... so, thanks. I can't wait to try this method.

Fishfranky,

Thanks so much for sharing this ingenious idea with all of us. I have to try this,I tied some bucktails with the magic heads and did not like the results.

Thanks guys, I get a lot of enjoyment experimenting. The sequin position above really wants to dive and you can move the position backwards for "shallow running".

A loop knot is a good thing to use with these patterns as it'll wiggle more and swim straighter. Here's a link to one:
    [url=http://www.flyfishlouisiana.com/nonslip_loop_knot.htm:0afc4]http://www.flyfishlouisiana.com/nonslip_loop_knot.htm[/url:0afc4]

Finally, an easy way to add a little shimmy to existing flys is with these:

You just need to widen the sequin hole with a bodkin/scissor point and slip in a 1/2 inch long plastic tube (scooby lace in this picture). Stick it on a foam block, epoxy it and then trim the tube. About a penny per dozen

Awesome idea with the pins, thanks for posting the pics!!! Will try them out on some Georgia LMBass very soon!
    bd

Hi sport,

I was recently introduced to Wiggle Fin Action Discs (www.wigglefin.com). They really work and change any streamer/wet into a wiggle fly like some of those mentioned already. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:43128]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:43128]

+ Reply to Thread