+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Streamside Tying

Default Streamside Tying

As I registered for the MAR free drawing, I noticed the question about taking materials streamside to tie. Question #1: Does anyone really do this? I did some research a few months ago and didn't come up with any satisfying results with regards to handheld vices and small travel packs to hold materials and tools. Question #2: If you do tie streamside, what does your streamside pack include? Question #3: Does anyone have a good source for streamside supplies?

Very respectfully,

Adam

I don't carry a tying kit on my person when on the stream. But I do have one in the fishin wagon. It has saved the trip more then I like to say.
    It is the small Cabela's boxed set and
    a box of materials. Stowed behind the drivers seat.

Wet
    Working Trout Bum

I don't tie 'streamside' but I do keep a small kit in my tackle bag. I'm not fast enough to make them up on the water, can't give up fishing time to tying. I use the kit at lunch or in the evening on a mutli day trip. Can't tell you how many times I found the fish would only take a particular fly and I only had 3 in by fly box.

My travel kit fits in a small PLANO box, it has a small scissors, a small vice made from an exacto blade holder, 3 common thread colors re-wound on sewing machine bobbons to save space, a bobbin bent to accept the the smaller bobbin. An assortment of common hooks, dubbing stored in 1 1/2" sections of soda straws, hackles in grizzly, brown and dun. Some antron in various colors.

Often when tying I end up with small pieces of left over material, these go into a small zip lock and eventually end up in the kit.

AlanB Guest

I do a demo for clubs titled the travelling flytier. It uses what I can only describe as the smallest tying kit you can get. Everything for the demo fits into the pocket of my shirt. About 5" by 3" is the size of the case.

The rule is that I have enough hooks and materials to tie a dozen of each fly I tie in the demo (Usually about 10 flies).

I have used this kit in fishing huts to save a day when I hadn't the right fly or had run out of flies.
    Here's the kit packed and laid our.

Cheers,
    Alan.

------------------
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Alan,
    What kind of vice is that in your streamside kit?

Bill

AlanB Guest

You will not be able to get one like that it was made for me however the Blue Mountain vice is very similar.
    Sorry I don't have a contact for them.

I have designed a vice that has a full rotary feature to go in that kit but I am waiting for the first prototype from the makers.

Cheers,
    Alan.

------------------
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

I'm like Wet Fly Guy . . . I typically don't carry one on the stream (unless I'm going to be a long distance or time way from the car) but there's always a small kit in the fish car.

Joe

Very many thks, gents! It has motivated me to go ahead and "drink the koolaid". I think I'll trie one of those handheld vises I've found and report back. As I already throw my entire tying kit and materials in the pop-up camper when travelling (and it has saved the day as many have said), I want to have something on me that I can tie streamside. I really found the need last weekend in the Shenandoah flying for brookies. There was a hatch of small dark caddis and, while I had some success with a big green traditional caddis, I know if I could've wipped up a couple of smaller, darker ones my wife and I would've met with greater success.
    Again, tks for everyone's inputs and if you have any other ideas, pls provide.
    V/r.
    Adam

Forgot one thing for AlanB. If you get your rotary up and running, pls drop me a line at bluwatr@worldnet.att.net. I was converted to rotary several years ago and haven't looked back. A small one that would fit in my shirt pocket sounds perfect!
    V/r.
    Adam

Adam,
    I know this is not quite! what you were looking for, but may be of some help.. [url=http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/troutflydesign1.shtml:2907a]http://www.sexyloops.com/articles/troutflydesign1.shtml[/url:2907a]

tight lines,
    Roy

+ Reply to Thread