In the new 'Fly Tyer' magazine there is an article & tutorial about tying 3 caddis' designed by G. LaFontaine. After I read the article and saw the photos, I had some observations and concerns. I'm sure many of you are more knowledgeable about the construction of these flies. Perhaps you knew G. LaFontaine or watched him tie. If so, would you comment on my observations:

Sorry to say that I found several comments where the author is inconsistent with my readings and viewing of LaFontaine's videos about the techniques he used in tying these patterns. For examples:

1) The author cites that G.LaF mentioned only 1 source for the antron. I recall LaF mentioning 3 brands of the material. One was Caron's 'DazzleAire' and I'll have to review the tape to see what he says are the other two.

2) The author illustrates the tying steps and finished product which results in a sheath that is overly heavy and not transluscent. LaF specifically says that the sheath must enable the dubbing to show through. The pics in the article clearly do not follow that quide.

3) The author says that the touch dubbing should be cut into 1/4 inch pieces before blending. LaF clearly says the dubbing should be 1/8 inch. This dubbing must be seen below the sheath and the authors rendition of these patterns does not make the visualization of the dubbing clearly below the sheath possible.

4) In the book, LaF uses the word 'sparkleyarn' and 'antron' whereas the author specifies antron.

In short, the author of the article does not describe the Emergent Caddis Pupa, Diving Caddis and Deep Sparkle Pupa as LaF described them.

These comments are based on comparisons between this article and LaFontaine's video and book Trout Flies.

Allan