+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Suggestions - Little Red River, Arkansas

1. Default Suggestions - Little Red River, Arkansas

Leaving Friday for a weekend trip to the Little Red River in Arkansas. I've never fished it before and was curious if anyone had any recommended flies or effective techniques for this water. From what I can gather, it appears to be sowbug country. Thanks for the help.

2. Default

will do, thanks.

The Little Red was my favorite river in AR before my move out west. I have a few suggestions of my own for you to have a very productive trip. All the places that were suggested by Zach are great. I would also include Cow Shoals in your list of places to go. As far as the flies go, I would also tie on several glass bead midge nymphs in black and olive. Size 18 - 20 Hares ears are good too. At around 4-5 PM, Tie on a #16-18 Soft Hackle. Partridge and tan dubbing with a krystal flash tag work great. Cast accross and down and then use tiny 1-2" strips accross the current. You will be surprised at what happens! One more thing, if you can go to the Swinging Bridge at night about 11-12 PM, I would tie on a big, fat, ugly, hairy thing and see what happens. If you need a place to stay, My good friend Chuck Farneth has a great little lodge on the banks of Cow Shoals. He is a GREAT guide too!!!!!!! If you have any questions just shoot me an e-mail. Scott

[url=http://p222.ezboard.com/bflyfishingarkansasandmissouri:8e6d7]This message board[/url:8e6d7] has a number of guides from the area that will answer questions for you about many of the river systems in Arkansas and Missouri, including the White River, Little Red, Tanycomo and Norfork. A great resource if you're headed out that way.

Cow Shoals has no fish now (
    Chuck Farnsworth may catch em there now, but he's kinda special). Use wooly buggers, craklebacks, and red asses. Also, scuds and sowbugs. You'll do real well. Winkley Shoals, Rainbow Island(ask where it is, but be careful of the nut who lives adajcent to the parking lot-go downstream to the docks), Dripping Springs, and the dam (in the evening). Have fun.

Cow Shoals has plenty of fish all year round. I would take Zach's advise and go to the island up top and the tail out below. Those two areas are very productive all year round if fished properly. There are fish between these two areas as well. They are a bit more of a challenge but that's part of the fun. Scott

If the water is up try a float trip. They are not as common as at larger rivers but can give you some action (might be able to make something out of nothing). The Ozark Angler has some knowledgable guides as well. Hope you enjoy your visit to the Natural State!

Zack Great Map.

------------------
    Chuck Hitt

+ Reply to Thread