+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Triple Threat Cone Heads Patterns

Default Triple Threat Cone Heads Patterns

I'll tell you what! The lastest issue of Flyfishing & Tying Journal has the coolest and easiest baitfish pattern:
    "Triple Threat Cone Heads "

This pattern is easy to tie and the method yields a very handsome baitfish in no time. Brilliant design lending itself to any baitfish that swims. I have scaled them up to a size 3/0 so far. Great fly!

Needless to say I am impressed and excited by this innovation...

Rich

Thanks, Rich,...have that issue in front of me. I've always liked cone heads.

Just for the sake of discussion....This weekend I watched Gary Beck tie his super Bugger and "Super Slider"....the slider has a lot of similarity to these coneheads....however he made the point that he uses dumbbell eyes rather than cone heads because he believes heavily that eyes can be a trigger..especially for big fish....

Personally I think I'd just put a dot on the cone heads.

Jim Slattery Guest

You've got to be kidding! Bast*rds Stole my flies name LOL. I guess nothing is sacred. I smell a lawsuit. .

Couple of minor points. Yes I too have put eyes on cones. I think there are cones with built-in recesses for 3-D eyes that are called Jiggy Heads (East Coast Striper Stuff).

Also, Cascade Crest is selling neat aluminum Anodized Cone Heads. These are available in a range of vivid colors and they are ultra lightweight. Perfect for making the Triple Threat Coneheads without adding a bunch of weight where you don't need it.

What we need now is ultralight weight injection molded plastic cones for making Triple Threats that would swim very well and be practically unweighted.

Rich

+ Reply to Thread