There is a species of peacock that genetically produces bronzed herl but I don't recall the name.

As for UV... It doesn't bronze as well as the natural stuff but it does bronze in sunlight. It takes about 6 to 8 weeks, depending or intensity. Seattle area would take longer than Death Valley.

Another consideration is the light used to view the bronzed herl. It looks different under true color (daylight) than in tungsten or regular household lights. Also different under florescent light. Under some lights you can hardly tell the difference between bronzed and green, under other it shows well, in some cases you have to angle the light to see the bronze.

Under water it makes no difference between green and bronzed, at least as far as I can tell (maybe fish can though). Wet peacock herl is not the same color as it is when dry. Under water it looks different than when wet out of the water (looks black when fibers are sticking together) and different underwater on a sunny day than a cloudy day. You can get a glass of water and check it out for yourself.

There is something in peacock herl that triggers fish, however, bronzed herl is for my personal attraction, not the fish's.

I emailed an offer to send a small sample of bronzed herl to those that tried in vain to bronze it themselves. But I can't email "nick0danger" (email is not available). If you email me your address I will gladly send a small sample to tie some flies with.

Just some more thoughts to play with. Ed.

[This message has been edited by Ed Gallop (edited 25 February 2006).]