+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nor-Vise Advice

Default Nor-Vise Advice

I purchased a new Nor-Vise this past Friday at the local fly fishing show and have spent the weekend and the last few evening getting use to it compared to my conventional vise. I am making some progress but I could use some advice.

The conbination of the automatic bobbin and the vise was a bit much for me so I am focusing on the bobbin. I am tying flies on my conventional vise with the automatic bobbin. Any secrets getting the retraction mechanism started on the first fly being tyed? Any other words of wisdom on handling the bobbin?

The vise is a nice piece of equipment. However, I had difficulty using it with a bead head pattern. It seems the vise shines with things like streamer, buggers and steelhead flies but how about typical trout dry flies and nymphs? And dubbing is not as simple as the video. How long does it take to master this?

Thanks in advance.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

The video is more useful if you know what to see. Like trapping the very first bit of dubbing between the thread and the hook. We dub on wire for some nymphs.
    The bobbin....pull PAST the clutch distance and you will have loose thread as on any other bobbin.
    It is harder to "relearn" tying than to learn the first time and your mind does NOT visualize true rotary at first.
    As with any tool, there are areas of absolute perfection and areas of ho hum.
    If you stick with it and are interested enough, you will find your Nor can do ALL that is done on ANY other vice......PLUS a wee bit more.
    Going to see Norm at San Rafael this w/e.....we hope!
    .....lee s.

Bob,

It sounds like you have the spool on the retraction hub backwards. Try taking the spool off the hub and reversing it so that the thread feeds off the opposite side. Don't ask me how I know this I used my first Nor Vise bobbin that way for several days and was very dissappointed when it wouldn't retract properly. Now, I actually etch in a couple of arrows on the hub indicating the direction the thread should be going when I put the spool on to avoid making the mistake again. Great vise and bobbins. Once you get used to it, you'll never want to go back.

Jim Smith

Bob,

I like to add a little tension so I tend to make at least one wrap around one of the arms when using waxed thread and two wraps when using unwaxed thread. After a few tying sessions you'll get the kinks out so to speak and you'll probably never go back to a conventional bobbin again.

I don't have the Nor Vise, but I have watched tyers in amazement as they rotary tie on one. My DK Barracuda cannot be handled in the same manner and would probably bust a knuckle or two if I tried to spin the beast the way I have seen tyers spinning a Nor Vise.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I am curious. I have read other similar posts about the Norvise and I do not understand why people buy this vise that appears to have so many problems. How can putting a hook in the jaws and applying various materials be made so complicated? Really - I am curious.

Gardenfish, I believe you see these kind of comments because it is a different paradigm. It's not a problem with the vise in fact you can use it as a traditional vise in all aspects. The power comes when you start re-thinking how to handle materials ... for instance, stop passing material from hand to hand and apply it with a consistent pressure and progression. Dubbing, whether fuzzy or tight is a breeze and re-enforced herl is a no-brainer.

Bob,
    If you want to get up to speed quickly, come down to Ronn Lucas's monthly tying get together (there are 2-3 nor-vise users) and you'll be up to speed in a blink.

Bob,
    "I had difficulty using it with a bead head pattern" what problem are you having?

On beadhead pattern one trick is to put lead wire on first, put lead in hook eye, come over the bead and place your finger on top of the lead and bead,make a wrap or 2 by hand, then just turn on as many wraps as you like. Cut the lead at both ends(behind bead) and remove from eye, slide the turned lead up in side the bead,start your thread at far end this will tighten it as spin the thread toward the bead. I put the lead wire in old regular bobbin and it easier to handle.
    You can vary the tension in the thread by putting pressure on bobbin to.
    As far as the vise is concerned it is the best, you just have to learn a new way of tying and handling materials. As with anything you will always see more from the negative than the satisfied.
    Do call Norm he is very helpful.
    Steve

Thanks everyone for the positive reinforcement. Knowing its a "learning curve" is a big help. I did talk to Norm the other day and he thinks my bobbin may have a slight metal burr in the mechanism. A replacement is on the way.

Like some of you have said, the Nor-Vise is a totally new way of tying in terms of material handling, sequencing, hand movement, etc. I am getting better at it day by day.

My problem with the beadhead fly was a matter of getting the thread to the front of the hook for spinning. I got it now.

Thanks

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

halomidge, thanks. It appears to be a tying style change of which I ws unaware.

[This message has been edited by Gardenfish (edited 16 February 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread