I finally dug up that old book that has this pattern in it. The book is titled, "Practical Flies And Their Construction" (Revised Edition) by Lacey E. Gee and Erwin D. Sias. Illustrations by John Goettsch. It is copyrighted 1966 but try as I might, I can find no publisher. This book is more of a booklet and came with my old fly tying kit I got back in the 1980s.

No history of this wet fly pattern is given (FAOL archives I think said it is of Canadian origin) but it is reported to work well on trout, bluegill, and other panfish. The little "Gimp" feather is found at the base of Amherst Pheasant quills. Two are used for each Gimp fly and are laid down flat ontop of the hook shank for the wing. The picture shows that the wing extends just beyond the hook bend. A size 10 wet fly hook is suggested. The short tail (half the length of hook shank) is blue dun or gray dun hackle fibers. Gray wool strand wrapped forward is used for the body. The two Gimp feathers are tied in for the wing, two turns of a small hackle collar, and finally a thread head.

------------------
Robert B. McCorquodale
Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"