+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crappie Fly

Default Crappie Fly

Hi All,
    I live in Notrh West Indiana and we have a number of great Crappie lakes in the area. I've been using a peacock herl nymph the past couple of years with some success. I was wondering if anyone has a good recipe for tying a fly for crappie's they would like to share.
    Thanks in Advance,
    Rich

I have had great success with a Clauser Minnow on a size 10 hook. Easy to cast with the 4wt. White Bass also like them a lot. I tye the both in a white/brown and a white/grey variety. I also have had success with a "shortened" version that only wses the wing on the clauser and it only goes back to the hook bend.

Hi Rich,

I sure have good luck with a bead head,black tail, peacock bugger. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:08f12]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:08f12]

Wooly Buggers tied in sizes 6 & 8 plus take a gander at Rick Z's favorite crappie flies. I have done well with them especially the thief.

Tim Anderson

Hi Rich. Peter Frailey's Baby Buggers work great on crappie, and anything else that may be lurking down there as well. I use the peacock herl version beaded and unbeaded, sizes 12 and 14. All are deadly, and a real easy tie.
    Bob
    Good Tying and Good Fishing!
    Bob

Here is the best one I have found as of yet. I do change up the colors some from time to time, but it never fails to produce for me.

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/052801fotw.html:b4bb0]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/fotw2/052801fotw.html[/url:b4bb0]

Don
    Don Rolfson

My favorite is "Robb's little wiggler". I wanted something to imitate an inch worm or red worm. I tie this on a curved shank 3X hook like the TMC 200R, add a contrasting bead head, (I like red with chatruese) Sparse marabou tail, cover the hook shank with thread, over wrap with clear V-rib.This fly is very neutral buoyant if you use a glass seed bead for the head , if more depth is desired use brass or tungsten.

I have excellent luck catching Crappie with two patterns. The first is the Carter's Sculpin which I will provide a receipe for if you need it and the second is polar fiber minnows tied in chartruese over white, unweighted on a size six hook. Let me know if you need the receipe.

Jim Smith

Wooly Buggers tied in sizes 6 & 8 plus take a gander at Rick Z's favorite crappie flies. I have done well with them especially the thief.
    Tim,

Would that be doing well for Black Specks or White Specks? Or both? Thanks.

------------------
    Robert B. McCorquodale
    Sebring, FL

"Flip a fly"
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Robert

I have caught both species on these flies. Most of my catches have been on the white crappie, but then again most of the crappie in my area are whites.

Tim Anderson

+ Reply to Thread