+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stimulators

1. Default

Just one tip on tying the Stimulator. Don't try to tie in the wing in one large clump. Use two smaller stacks of hair. I think it creates a fuller wing that floats much better.

OK, I'll say it...
    I think the standard hook for the stimulator sucks...what is it TMC 200?..anyway my hookup rate definitely went up after tying with a standard wider gape dry fly hook....the 200 looks really good but...just my experience...some will differ...

I agree with ducksterman, I have experienced problems with the 'hookability' of the TMC-200 - but I do like the looks of certain flys when tied using it.

------------------
    Dennis ~BadBug~

I tie them in a variety of sizes. I usually tie them in size 8 or 10 for october caddis, 12-14 can work for caddis, and 16's I frequently will tie for fishing small mountains streams where I really need a small fly that floats well. I am usually in the mountains during the big stonefly hatches here so I dont tie stimies for salmonflies or golden stones.

The beauty of this fly is you can tie in in a variety of colors and sizes to suit your fisihng needs.

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

Can someone tell me what defines a "Stimulator"? Thanks

Stimulators are a great tie to learn early. It combines several different tying methods in one fly. My favorite hex fly is a size 8 or 10 yellow/orange stimulator. By far my most successful hex fly. Add turkey for a back wing, and legs, and you have a hopper. Great fly, and fun to tie.

+ Reply to Thread