+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Salt water iron in freshwater

Default Salt water iron in freshwater

Is it bad voodoo to use saltwater iron for freshwater fishing? I use saltwater hooks a lot in tying freshwater patterns to eliminate needing to add extra weight to patterns and I like the larger hook gaps for hooking fish and hook removal. My concern though is that saltwater hooks left in fish through break offs or cut releases won't degrade enough to to free itself from a fish from the coating to prevent rusting from saltwater use.

------------------
    Who has time for stress when there are fish to catch.
    Nick
    Your hooks sharp????

Hooks typically fall out of a fish long before they rust out so don't sweat it. Ever get a nasty sliver that you just cannot remove? It ends up working its way out on its own and the same happens with hooks.

------------------
    Jeff - AKA Dr. Fish
    If it has fins and swims than I must chase it!

I use saltwater hooks a lot in freshwater just because I use the same pattern in both waters.I also like the bigger and heavier hooks for bass.As stated,a hook will fall out before it rusts out anyway.Besides,if leaving a hook in a fish becomes that big of a concern,then you should probably be using bronze hooks in the salt.

I use heavy salt water hooks for clouser patterns when I want the sleak look with something that will sink well.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hey Nick,

I remember that those crawfish flies you so kindly shared with me had a pretty good chunck of stainless steel in them. I share your concern with stainless steel in fresh water. My solution has been to use a heavier leader when I'm fishing stainless steel hooks in order to prevent breakoffs. This is a pretty good idea anytime you are using a large, heavy fly in order to prevent the leader from twisting. I hope that Dr. Fish is correct about hooks falling out because big stainless steel hooks can survive salt water for a good long time. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

Half or more of my bass flies are tied on salty irons. As stated above, they fall out just fine. Go for it.

+ Reply to Thread