+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Pro and Con

Default Pro and Con

I'm looking for comments on a practice I've been using for some time. To prevent feathers fibers from splitting on patterns like Hornbergs,Hoppers,Muddlers and even all sorts of nymph wing cases Ive been using Contact Cement or office type rubber cement. Either of these is stronger than acrylic or lacquer head cement. I apply a little dab, spread it down the feather with my fingertips and let it dry before tying in. The plain rubber cement is not as durable but less messy and, being clear, it doesn't add the tan color of the Contact.
    Does anyone else do this?

Ray,

Solution or workaround...

I am likely in the minority here, but I steer clear of using feather segment reinforcing on my flies. This applies to wings, tails, and also to wing cases. I find that by not stressing the quill segments, there really is no splitting at tie-in point. Remember that feather barbs feature interlocking barbules, and they resist splitting or separating as part of their design. If you experience splitting, I would suggest you look at the cause and prevent it from happening, not seek the workaround of glueing the barbs together and stiffening the feather segment with all the associated negative implications thereof.

Just my $0.02. Your mileage may vary...

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places ===
    http://www.danica.com/flytier
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Ray,

By "splitting", do you mean during tie-in or during fishing? If they are splitting during fishing, specially in the case of quill qings, I believe it is expected. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Regards,

Alberto

there is a product called flexcement in fly shops that works well to hold the feathers together and yet remain clear. Dave's Flexcement

Also, look to one of Cascade Crest Tools' product for the same purpose. You can check their site and then get it at your shop. Forget the exact name. It is a clear, fast drying thixotropic liquid for feathers..dries clear-sorta flexable.

Rich

I have been using loon UV knot sense. It is really worth a try

[This message has been edited by wvflytyer (edited 07 February 2006).]

+ Reply to Thread