When you participate in a fly swap, do you know how each individual tier gets rid of parasites in his/her material? Does the question ever come to your mind that you may be getting an infestation when you join these swaps? I'm not trying to make anyone paranoid about joining swaps, but it is food for thought.

About 15 years ago, I had a minor infestation probem. It wasn't transmitted through a swap. It was my own fault. I killed a few starlings, and harvested their wings. It did cost me few dollars in capes, and hides.

I placed a call to the Colorado State University cooperative extension, and told a fellow there about my problem. He urged me to wash my reamaining materials in soapy water, air dry them, then place them in a trash bag with a teaspoon of 'Sevin Garden Dust'. Give the contents a good shake and leave them in the bag for 14 days.

Since then I have had no other infestation problems. I did take his advice a step further. Now whenever I bring home material of questionable origin (swap flys included), I put them in the old"Sevin Dust" quarenteen.
I use the garbage bag for hides, and wings, but that isn't a practical way for flys. For the flys, I place them in a small cedar jewlery box, with a sprinkle of Sevin Dust. The box is placed in a ziploc freezer bag, and sealed for 14 days.

[This message has been edited by DUB (edited 05 February 2006).]