+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Soft hackles

Dear Denny,
    I would like to publicly offer my sincere apologies to you and your daughter. While the e-mail response you sent did not get through to my inbox. I should not have posted with the tone I used yesterday, especially after our previous dealings. Again please accept my apologies

I've been tying lots of soft hackles this year and though I love Hungarian partridge collars, sometimes they are just too long. I tried some Cabela's hen necks, but they were too bulky and webby (is that a word) for my taste. So, I followed the wisdom of the FAOL Board and went to Denny. I've been more than satisfied with the JV hens from Conranch.

And I've still never figured out how a call I made to Denny in Washington on a Tuesday got me a box of feathers in the mail here in Texas on a Thursday. I guess the stars and the USPS must have been aligned that week.

John,

Thanks.

Accepted.

Denny

------------------
    Denny
    Denny@conranch.com
    Co-Owner Conranch Hackles
    Denny

Just thought I would add my observations to the mix. I have twice had orders from Denny and emails have been answered quickly and both Denny and Elizabeth have taken my calls on their cell phones (I can't recall ever having to leave a message) while conducting other business or for all I know driving to the market for groceries. You simply can't get better and friendlier communication than that. Good service is rare these days, but in FF there are fortunately still some vendors who still do things the old fashioned way... service with a smile... and Denny's operation is one of them.

Peter F

------------------
    Peter F
    www.fishingwithflies.com
    pfrailey@hotmail.com

I also have to speak up in defense of Denny and Liz. I've known Denny for several years now, and he's never been anything but helpful. Any lag in response from him has to have a good reason.

Some months back I placed on the BB an inquiry regarding soft hackle flies. I ended up contacting Denny and bought 2 JV hens. Denny was so trusting that he sent the feathers before I even had a chance to cut the check and said let the feathers and the money pass each other in the mail. From the few flies I have tied with the JV's, I can honestly say Conranch is 1st rate!

Denny, I still owe you some soft hackle flies as soon as I can find enough time at the bench. These days with a 23 month and 4 months old, I rarely get a chance to tie and when I do I am lucky to get off 4 at a sitting.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

I have dealt with Denny several times and I owe 4 different JV Hen Hackles and his product is only surpassed by his service. I live in OH and like some others have posted my check and his product passed in the mail without him knowing me from Joe Blow.

Be sure you inquire about his Pearsall's Gossamer Silk, especially the Jasper color. I am hooked on that stuff coupled with a dark JV hen hackle--it makes for a wicked combo.

I fished a mountain stream in VA yesterday on a short weekend trip and all my largest fish came on a pattern with Conranch hackle.

It is the real deal!

Take care,
    Shmang

Ray,
    As others have said, you will never find better hackle for a better price than Denny Conrad has to offer. I've been to his home, seen his birds and own a lot of his hackle.

------------------
    Enjoying life in the North Idaho Panhandle....Psalm 91
    Exploring the waters of western Montana...

+ Reply to Thread