+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question for Peak vise users

Default Question for Peak vise users

Hello everyone, I am seeking a bit of information regarding the Peak vise. I fish the Yakima, WA area and there are no dealers around here where I can get the information myself. Since the Peak vise has no adjustment for placing hoooks of different sizes precisely on the axis of rotation when tying rotary style, I would like to know what is the optimum size hook that will position the shank of the hook on the axis of rotation without any vertical displacement as it is rotated. Also, what range of hooks will fit best before the vertical displacement during rotation becomes an annoyance. I am using an old Thompson A and looking to upgrade. I like all I have read about the Peak and it fits my budget, but I have this lingering question. Your taking the time to respond will be of great assistance and very much appreciated. Jim

Jim,

Rather than parroting the advertizing blurb which touts in-line adjustment options to exactly center the shank, here is my real-world comment.

_Exact_ in-line is important for spinning vise designs, such as the Nor-vise, where the jaws can be spun at speed. For hand cranked in-line rotary vises, such as the Peak, _approximate_ in-center placement of the hook is 'as good'. As long as the hook shank rotates _close_ to in-center, this will be perfectly fine in the real world of tying, without any negative effect to rotary tying operations.

Yes, a number of the in-line rotary vise designs add adjustment options, but in my experience with hundreds of tiers on such vises, it is a rare bird who fine-tunes his or her vise when moving between hook sizes

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places === [url=http://www.danica.com/flytier:73c3f]http://www.danica.com/flytier[/url:73c3f]

[This message has been edited by Hans Weilenmann (edited 28 January 2006).]
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Thanks Hans - you are such a reality check. I am a Peak user who use to tie on a Thompson A (still have the original red box it came in -1969- when I bought it new). Moved to the Peak a couple of years ago and never looked back. I am enjoying the features of the Peak. I'm glad I did it.
    Cordially,
    mcsteff
    YMMV

I too use the Peak since last year and it is flawless for me. I was also using a knock off A vise. I feel that this vise for the money is wonderful for someone who is on some kind of budget. It also packs well as I take it to work and streamside frequently. You can also read Hans full report with some searchs. Al has also wrote a review on it.

Good luck,
    Seege

This question in general came up on another board as well - and Hans replied the same (with which I agree). If the shank of the hook moves up or down (about a shank dia. or a little more) during rotation it is not a factor. The speed is so slow that you can easily compensate for the minor change in tension with your material (right) hand. Usually putting the bend of the hook deeper/higher/lower in the jaws is the only change you need to make. I agree again, in the tying club I don't think anyone changes the 'master setting' - it's just not worth it. Just relax and enjoy the new vise.

I to have a Peak and am not happy with it holding big hooks am getting ready to send it back. I just got a new HMH the siloutte the cheap one however you spell it and am absolutely Happy with it. It will actually smash a hook but it is not full roatary. One of the best inexpensive vises out there.

I love my Peak and tie Smallmouth hair jigs on it with size 4/0 hooks with no problem. I dont use the rotary funtion alot but it is a great value in my opinion.

I have just recently picked up a used Peak vise after looking at them for most of the last year. I also use a Renzetti traveller. I wanted something a little bigger because I mainly tie deerhair bass flies and I wanted something that had a larger surface to support my left hand. I love this vise, but like JC said, the plastic screw needed to be adjusted often. This model that I have is the original design, and may be different from what is available now, for I was able to order a replacement screw that was made of brass, and it works fine. GREAT VISE!!

JC,

That was my suggestion. They were offended by it.
    *chuckle*

Maybe it was all in the delivery?

Kurt (at Peak) and I discussed the same topic, the replacement of nylon screw by a brass version, when I test-drove the Peak for my vise review. I did not sense "offended".

I did sense weighing the pros and cons of replacing the set of screws by a more costly alternative, what the functional difference might be, what the esthetical difference might be, and how a possible increase in price would be perceived by the customers.

Just as you did, I told Kurt how I saw it, made my case to drop nylon screws in favor of metal screws, possibly nylon tipped. His was and is the decision whether to take up suggestions and whether to implement alterations, or stick to his own ideas. I have no problem with that. Surely you agree?

As it turned out, Kurt did take the respective suggestions on board and made brass screws available at either purchase moment, or as a retrofit. You can rightly feel pleased and validated

Cheers,
    Hans W

------------------
    === You have a friend in Low Places === [url=http://www.danica.com/flytier:218ae]http://www.danica.com/flytier[/url:218ae]

[This message has been edited by Hans Weilenmann (edited 31 January 2006).]
    ===================== You have a Friend in Low Places ======================
    Hans Weilenmann, The Netherlands
    http://www.flytierspage.com
    ================================================== ==============

Is there reason for a new full blown review of the vises available?

Have there been any major new entries or changes in current vises in the last several years?

------------------
    Swing hard, in case they throw the ball where you're swinging. Duke Snider
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

+ Reply to Thread