+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RS2 or Trion for 9wt in salt?

Default RS2 or Trion for 9wt in salt?

I have read a few posts regarding both of these reels (Redington RS2 and Pflueger Trion), but have found no real comparisons. I figured it was because there's about a $50 difference in the list price.

So if you could pick either of these reels up for the same price (new), which would you choose? The weight and backing capacity looks to be the same for the 9/10 model. I'll be using it with a GL3 9ft. 9wt. for reds/specks and maybe some jetty fishing on the Texas Gulf Coast.

Thanks for your input. Randy

[This message has been edited by preast (edited 06 February 2005).]

I purchased the RS2 9/10 for my son to use on great Lakes Salmon and I picked up the Trion 1978 for myself. After examining the drag systems and construction of both reels closely I would say that they came off the same line in the same factory. I'll lay good money that the new Orvis Battenkill mid-arbor is built on alternating days in this factory as well!

The drag systems are virtually identical. There are only two differences I notice between these two reels:
    1) The clicker on the Trion is a nylon plunger running on a dimpled aluminum ring While the RS2 has a steel plunger and ring.
    2) The most obvious difference is the spool and frame porting and the anodizing.

If you can pick both up for the SAME PRICE I would go with the RS2 because it will have a better warranty than the Trion's 1 year warranty. I believe the RS2's warranty beats the warranty Orvis is offering on the BK mid-arbor as well.

Tight Lines & Scream'n Reels!

[This message has been edited by BH Spey (edited 07 February 2005).]

[This message has been edited by BH Spey (edited 08 February 2005).]

Thanks for the comparison, Spey. I suppose the steel to steel is better on the clicker. I have to admit I feel better about the Redington--it looks solid. Only I can't actually get my hands on one, as it'll be ordered online.

Decisions decisions!

Thanks.

Sort of a twist on this question...

I'm also sort of in need for something for my 7wt. too. Is it possible to kill 2 birds with one stone and buy a 7/8? It says it'll hold WF8 w/200yds 20#, so I figure I can put gel-spun on it for the WF9 and still get probably 250 yds. Then buy an extra spool and use it for my 7wt. Plus that 9/10 is so heavy!

What do you think?

i think the RS2 (and all redington reels) run a little big so you could buy the smaller 7/8 and use it for both (i use the 7/8 for my 9 wt). i like the rs2--my only complaint being, on mine at least, the spool release lever isn't anodized and it's been rusting...

...for what its worth...I have 3 reels, 2 of which I paid almost double what I paid for the Pflueger...
    I have I believe the Trion 1958 on a 5w rod and I've had no problems...I split its time between a 4 & 6w but hit 'em all pretty hard and its been equal to the task...

Brookid
    thirdyearflyfisher.com

preast,

I think you'd do fine with gel-spun backing on the 7/8 for your 9wt rod. My only word of caution is that since the RS2 has been discontinued, spare spools are hard to find. If you have one scoped out go for it!

Well, I've read quite a few complaints about the RS2 spool release rusting, and I originally liked the Trion anyway so I think I'll go with it.

I think I'm going with the Trion 7/8 and spool it with PowerPro for my 9wt. I'll buy an extra spool for my 7wt.

So Danbo, you think I can get a WF-9 and 175-200yds of 40lb. PowerPro on a 7/8? The capacities on Pflueger's site say they used a DT line, so I'm thinking I'll squeeze a little more out with a WF.

As always the input here is great! Thanks.

Thanks Danbo. I REALLY wanted to avoid having to buy another reel for the 7wt., but the more I think about it, it's really only about another 50 bucks over the price of another spool.

I suppose that 9 wt would serve it's real purpose then too and hold a lot of backing, even though I've no big plans for it. Oooh and then I can get a 10wt!!

Cabelas has the Redington RS2 and GD reels in the size that you want on sale, both for less than $100. I just ordered a GD and spare spool to use with my eight weight. At that price, either Redington reel looks very good.

+ Reply to Thread