+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tying in Flashback without torquing it

Default Tying in Flashback without torquing it

Checked the archives and didn't find anything that specifically addressed this. When tying a flashback pheasant tail nymph, how does one tie in the mylar wing case without torquing it? When I tied one this evening I started with two loose wraps and then pulled it tight. It pulled over to the side away from me. I unwound the wraps and tried again, being very careful to start with loose wraps with the same result. Any pointers?

Thanks!

Mike
    Cadillac, MI

offer up the mylar on the near side of the hook and use the torque to tweak it into place atop the shank.

did that make sense? it works.

mgj

you can switch hands for the original wrap

like mikeytwoshoes says you must allow for the thread torque pull

------------------
    harry mason
    [url=http://www.troutflies.com:c0b2d]http://www.troutflies.com[/url:c0b2d]
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

If you are right handed just use your left thumb and hold it down in place on top of the thorax. Real easy to do. Leve the thread hang. Pull the mylar over the top with your right hand and press down with your left thunb on top of the mylar. This will hold it in place. Pick up your thread and tie it down. This way you are not working behind yourself. Easy as that. Reverse if left handed. Ron

What he said!

Thanks! Who woulda thunk it was as simple as rolling the mylar a little towards me and letting the torque pull it into place. I'll give that a try this evening.

Mike
    Cadillac, MI

Take another look at the photo Bones provided. I've always had better results with this method than torquing it into proper position...and I have better control over the tension on the wingcase.

Not saying anything is wrong with the way some of you are doing this but I have never had a problem with just pulling the mylar over the back with my right hand and holding it down with my left thumb and tying it down. Why the problem with this torking? Ron

RonMT
    Your right, six to one... it?s my experience that sometimes if there are more than two strands of Mylar I can not tension all of them well enough to cinch all of them tightly to the hook on the first try. I end up pulling them taught with my right hand after the wrap anyway. More to do with my club like thumb than anything else
    Harry Mason
    www.troutflies.com

Well, I learned a couple of things. First, the more I crowded the eye, the worse the torque problem got. Next, I narrowed the mylar tinsel a bit before tieing it in and this seemed to help it stay in place better.

The Flashback nymphs I did manage to tie really stand out in the fly box. From the right angle I can see the mylar flash from across the room.

Thanks!

Mike
    Cadillac, MI

+ Reply to Thread