+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hook for saltwater Clouser

Default Hook for saltwater Clouser

What is a good hook to use for tying saltwater Clouser minnows? Would you use the standard Mustad 34007 or what?

I've tied the Clouser for freshwater many times but have no experience with a saltwater version. In addition to the hook, what sizes are the best for saltwater? I intend to fish for redfish and sea trout.

Thanks for the help.

John

The #34007 is a great hook for that fly. I use them a lot. No use paying out the nose for another brand that will just go in saltwaster. I have tied on that hook for a long time and have had no complaints with them at all. ron

I have tied a ton of flies with 34007's but am currently using Gamakatsu SC15's for my redfish flies. I use 1/0 in the Gamakatsu's and I used size 1 mostly with the Mustad's. Jack

Most of my saltwater Clousers are tied on Mustad 34007 hooks.Its a good inexpensive hook and probably the most popular.I have also used the Mustad C68S which is Mustads signature tarpon hook,again with good results.A lot of my Clousers are tied on 34007 hooks if I use them in both fresh and salt water.

I actually like the cheaper 3407 better than the 34007 myself.
    In my opinion the plated hooks stay sharper longer than the stainless(both need to be sharpened out of the box). They will tarnish after a while though.
    Another plus for me is I can buy them at the hardware store down the street. Oh, and did I mention that they are cheaper?

------------------
    "Although prequalifed by virtue of their brain size, trout have no politics."
    J.A.Kassane

[This message has been edited by dudley (edited 25 January 2006).]
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

John,

Like Dudley, I prefer the Mustad 3407 for saltwater Clousers.

I'm not a big fan of stainless steel hooks. The plated hooks work fine, seem to hold an edge better, and as Dudley mentioned, they cost less. Can be a factor if you are fishing near any thing that might snag your flies.

Good Luck!

Buddy
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

Any of you's guys tried the EC413 60* bend hook for SW clousers? Some of the guys out here swear by'em. Say they hold the fish better.
    Kinda interested in your findings too, if you've tried them.
    ....lee s.

I mostly use the Mustad C70S D for Clousers. The hooks are extremely sharp. While I've used the 3407, I feel like I need to sharpen them, and that can break the finish and invite rust.

Partridge's Sea Streamer hook is another good choice.

I tend to avoid the stainless hooks for the reason that if I lose a fly in a fish, I want the fly to eventually rust out.

Keith

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. I have some Mustad 3407 and 343007 in the right sizes so I'm set.

-John

Regarding using the Eagle Claw 413 60 deg. jig hooks, I came across this slide show with a whole bunch of saltwater flies (including many varieties of Clousers) tied with this hook.
    [url=http://www.midcurrent.com/spinster.aspx:c3c63]http://www.midcurrent.com/spinster.aspx[/url:c3c63]

-John

+ Reply to Thread