+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Variants

Default Variants

The Grey Fox, Dun and Cream Variants all call for oversize hackles. I'm curious how oversized are they calling for? If I were to tie a Grey Fox in a 16 .. would a 12 hackle be right? Or even as large as a size 10?

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

Two to three sizes over size is about right. Ron

Thanks Ron. It's about what I figured then.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

Art Flick in his "New Streamside Guide" calls for 3 hackle feathers on sizes 10,12,14,16 and 2 hackle feathers on sizes 18 and smaller.Variants should be heavily hackled and have relativelly short bodies. For example a size 12 hook uses size #6 hackle feathers. For a size 16 hook, use size #10 hackle feathers. For Variants 18 and smaller the hackle feathers should not be quite as large. For a size 18 hook, use size #14 hackle feathers. Later, Jim

j- I have the first addition of Art's book signed and a couple of letters from him on this subject. I also have some of his flies. Use to have more but I donated a few to an FFF chapter to raise some money for stream work they were doing. I took Art fishing when he was out here and I guided Bill his son a number of times. Now Bill lives about 12 miles from me with his great wife and (Great Cook) Ginny. All he does is Fish and Hunt Birds LOL he has a good life but worked for it to. They are just great people and I am sure you would love to know them. Art was one of the nicest people I ever had the privlage to share a boat with. Ron

Where do you get the bigger hackles?
    Thanks,
    Brad

Brad,

Good hackle for large flies is getting more difficult to find. You should try 'spade' hackle if you can get it. Short of that, hackle from a good Chinese neck. I don't think that saddle hackle, in large sizes, is stiff enough.

By the way, do you ever fish the 'Rainbow Paradise'?

Allan

Allen is correct. Good spade hackles is the way to go. I have some saddles that work very well but I think I was lucky in finding them. Most people try the large feathers off the back of capes and they just will not do the job at all. You can sometimes find the hackle needed on capes. Look to the middle sides of the cape. There are some real short feathers there that have real long fibers and can be used. Those feathers are also great for tailing flies to. Ron

Allan,
    I must confess I have in the past. Have you?
    Brad

Brad,

Was there twice 2 years ago late in the season(early and late fall). It can be fun trying to identify and catch a specific fish. I hear that there are natural insects early in the year. I couldn't become a 'regular', but I might visit the place once a year.

Allan

+ Reply to Thread