+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Duck or Goose?

Default Duck or Goose?

I feel stupid asking this but here goes:

I am going to enter the dark and spooky, (for me), world of Classic Wet Flies a la Bergman/Bastian. I bought Don's DVD and some Bourbon so now I have the nerve but I am confused about quills.

Should I be using duck or goose quills for quill wing patterns like a Parmachene Belle when I'm going to tie a size 6 or 8. I looked at some duck quills today in my local fly shop and they looked awful small to me for that size fly.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Based on the size hooks you mentioned, my guess would be goose.

Allan

Hi Bamboozle,

Don posted a few threads last year on the main board here. He stated that duck wing quills were the way to go first and then goose wing quills next. Do a search on the main board by entering his last name to read the entire thread titled "who tied that fly". Print it out if you want it since for some reason the archives here only go back about 14 months now compared to three or four years like they used to not too long ago.

Regards,

Mark

Bamboozle:

Thanks for buying the DVD! And it ain't dark and spooky!! Ha!

I tell people all the time, the duck quills were traditionally used for tying most of the wet flies, especially in smaller sizes; smaller being #8, #10, #12, etc.
    Goose can also be used for classic wets. I have even married duck and goose together just because it was what I had on hand to tie what I needed to tie at the time.

I have some Wapsi Goose Quills I bought that I suspect are not goose but rather large white domestic duck.

Some duck quills are not large enough to tie quill wings much larger than #8. I do indeed have some duck quills that won't tie #6's which is what I usually tie at shows, and in classes I teach.
    Save the smaller sized feathers for tying #10's, #12's, etc.
    If you are having trouble finding nice duck and goose quills, please feel free to e-mail me, I may be able to help.
    I think my e-mail is in my profile, if not call me at the phone number listed on the DVD.

DB

Thanks all for the responses!

Don:

I love the DVD! I have wanted to tie the Bergman wets since I first saw the plates over 20 years ago and now I have motivation thanks to the DVD.

When I get my quills from my sources I'll see how they stack up. I'll e-mail you as well since finding good materials for me is a challenge.

Thanks again!

Jim Slattery Guest

Bamboozle,
    I'd thought I would share this with you. Just before Poul Jorgenson passed away I had a chance to visit with him. During our conversation the subject of Wet Fly wings came up and voiced my displeasure of using Duck (mallard)primaries. He told me that he often used secondary feathers (duck and goose as well as other birds) because they stacked neater ( when tightening the thread on the quill slip)weren't as bulky and also allowed for a small neat head, as well as a neater fly . Seemed like sage advise at the time and still does now LOL.
    Take care,
    Jim

------------------
    [url=http://www.Jimsflyco.com:e81db]www.Jimsflyco.com[/url:e81db] [url=http://www.flymph.com:e81db]www.flymph.com[/url:e81db]

[This message has been edited by Jim Slattery (edited 25 January 2006).]

[This message has been edited by Jim Slattery (edited 25 January 2006).]

Jim:

Thanks for "Paul's" advice. I can't wait to start tying these flies.

I use what ever works. If the duck is large enought I use that, I dont care what part of the wing they are from so long they have the same appearance. I tend to use goose on larger flies or if I have small goose quills.

Joe Fox

+ Reply to Thread