+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Peacock Feather Eyes

ducksterman; The answer is Yes and No "G" Jax

------------------
    Getting Old has it's advantages. It slows you down just enough to get your timing for tightening into a trout Just Right.
    Getting OLD is For Old People.

Have Fun Stay Young Go Fly Fishing!

duckster,

Not really. The ones within the eye really aren't good for herl bodies and such.

Anyone know, historically, when the first 'stripped' peacock eyes were used, by whom and what pattern?

Allan

I just love the irridescent blue section of the eye....makes for killer bodies on flies, nymphs, & midges !!!!!!!

Another method to strip the herl is to wrap a thread base on your hook then lay the herl on top of the hook make a wrap over the herl pull the thread tight and move the herl back and back and forth. Check your thread tension you will know when its right. A little tought to explain but it removes the herl and leaves the quill and you can do them as you need them while tying the a fly.

HiDucksterman,
    If the thought of detroying the beautiful herl eyes seems a waste, you may find, as I do, that ladies, like my wife, who make their own jewellry, want plenty of the smaller size eyes for earrings and such.

------------------
    Tight lines

Did you look at the Alantic Salmon Fly Tying Contest, that was run by Ronn Lucas, Sr. this year? One of the categories, they had to use peafowl (peacock) on the fly, there were many uses of peafowl, some using the eye of the peacock herl. Check it out!

[url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/atlantic/contest05/entries.html:f69f2]2005 Fly Tying Entries[/url:f69f2]

~Parnelli

[This message has been edited by Steven H. McGarthwaite (edited 20 January 2006).]

I just read in the tying tips archives that a fellow just loved the eye for wing cases on nymphs. Forgive me if this was mentioned already but it sounded good to me. Kind of a natural flashback...

I just rechecked the article I mentioned above in the Tying tips Archives and see that it was written by Simon McGarthwaite. The article contained more tips than just wing cases and is worth checking out. The wing case thing just seemed an excellent idea to me. One of those "why didn't I think of that" things.

I seem to remember someone making a bass fly (looked like a bluegill) and posting it not too long ago. I think it was Featherchucker and he had posted it on the warm water forum

------------------
    "If it was easy anybody could do it"
    Timothy S. Furey Sr.

Found it here you go: [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum20/HTML/001797.html:a4ddf]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/bb/Forum20/HTML/001797.html[/url:a4ddf]

------------------
    "If it was easy anybody could do it"
    Timothy S. Furey Sr.

+ Reply to Thread