Philly,

Apparently this 'Floam' stuff has ben around for a while as a childs modeling medium. What it actually 'is' appears to be small foam spheres in a kind of liquid emulsion. It will stay 'wet' or pliable if you keep it sealed, but will 'air dry' if left out of it's container.

When dry, it's still a bit flexible, floats, and has a pebbled 'texture' to it's surface.

The owner of my local fly ship showed me a couple of things that had been attempted with it. He wanted to see if it had a use as a body material for frog or minnow type flies.

I've just started playing with it. It's easily sculpted (that's what it was developed for), so it can be formed into just about any shape you like right on the hook.

So far, I've made it into some neat looking frog 'heads', poppers, and I'm waiting for another batch to dry that I've formed into what I hope will be a decent fly rod equivalent to a Zara Spook (my one failed but never forgotten quest...).

It comes in tubs about the size that margarine comes in. I found mine at WalMart, but they were closing it out. There is supposed to be a website for it out there someplace.

Fun to play with. I'm going to try hopper bodies and then see how small it will work and stil hold together. Maybe a decent dry fly body for larger sizes. Who knows.

Good Luck!

Buddy