+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Funky foam

Default Funky foam

I've been tying up some foam hoppers that call for 2mm tan foam. Got two small sheets in the fly shop for $2.

Was in Hobby Lobby today and found the identical foam (at least I can't see a difference) for 79 cents. But that single sheet of "Funky Foam" contains more than 4 times as much material as the fly shop's package.

79 cents versus $8. Go figure!

Of course, running counter to Tyflies thread, I now have a potential lifetime's supply of foam hopper material.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hey Oldfrat,

Happens all the time. Fly tying stuff that you obtain form hobby shops, craft stores and general department stores always has more material and is cheaper than those sold specifically for fly tying. That's how specialty stores like fly shops stay in business since they deal with a limited client base.

A typical example of that rule occurred the other day to me. I bought a bag of Cascade's Vernille (ultra chenille) and got five yards for $2.50 at my local fly shop. While brousing around in Michael's, I found a knitting skein of nearly the same stuff for $5.99. I don't know how many yards were in that bundle but I could have kept all of Oregon in San Juan worms for ten years. 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

[This message has been edited by Eight Thumbs (edited 21 January 2006).]

8 thumbs - The chenille you bought is not quite the same. It'll do though.

Okay, I don't want to start a stampede, nor do I want to necessarily take business away from fly shops. However, since you guys visit Michael's, look at the Mohair yarn. I think it's about $5.00 a skein. It appears to be the same as 'Leech' yarn @$3.00(or more) for 5 yards. There are other things that are 'crafts' in the store and 'materials' in the shops. "Your job, should you choose to accept it" is to find those items (lol).

Have fun shopping.

Allan

OldFrat,

The guy who owns my local fly shop is good sport.

He actually encouraged me to do a tying demo using the stuff I bought from the 'craft store'.

So far, except for the hook, we're at over twenty flies and counting. These aren't just 'flies' that were made with craft store stuff. These are flies that are tied with ONLY craft store materials (except, of course, for the hook) and that he SELLS in the shop (when one of us that does that can get around to tying them for him).

Right now I don't think I fish with a fly EVER that doesn't contain at least something that came from an 'non fly fishing related' source.

STill finding 'new' stuff to play with.

Has anyone done anything yet with 'Floam'??

Looks promising.

Good Luck!

Buddy

------------------
    [url=HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML:68022]HTTP://HOMETOWN.AOL.COM/RSAN2708/INDEX.HTML[/url:68022]
    It Just Doesn't Matter....

tyeflies,

Thanks for the tip on the "leech yarn." 8T

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

If someone gets to Michaels and buys some of the Mohair yarn, I would like to buy some off of you.
    The nearest store is 90 miles away and I don't get there often.
    Also I am notsure that I need a whole skein of the yarn.

Rick

Hey Everyone,

Yes, you can find a lot of great materials at the big craft stores. The problem I have with it is taking the business away from my favorite fly shop. I live in a populated area (metro Detroit), and have seen 3 Orvis shops, with one more scheduled, go out of business, along with 2 "local" shops. Granted, I never go to the Orvis shops (they're way to interested in selling clothing and always seemed to care less about my business buying materials). I Love my local shop and would probably be lost without it. Therefore, I try to only buy things from craft stores if my guy doesn't have it. I'm definitely not made of money, but it seems a small price to pay for the knowledge, friendship and service I can get at "my flyshop".

SUPPORT YOUR LOCAL FLYSHOPS (if possible),
    Adam

Rick,

Trust me on this one. No one needs a whole skein of yarn. Its a life time supply for 15 or 20 typical fly tyers. The skeins are also bulky and to difficult to store compactly. I would rather buy a little and not have to store seven pounds of additonal material.

If I had any skeins of leech yarn, I would be sending you half a skein free just to get rid of the stuff. 8T

------------------

Blog Entries

Rick, send me an e-mail. I ought a whole skein of olive. Don't worry about money, a few yards isn't worth worrying about and we can call it a "Thank you" for your articles. I won't be reading e-mail for a few days, so it will be a week or so before you get the yarn.
    Ed

The thrift stores often have skeins of yarns at less than the fly shop price.
    The problem with the Craft store is you are investing more for a particular yarn... that you can't possibly use up... than the original shop price...my Dad used to call that being "bargain poor".

+ Reply to Thread