+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Need advice

Default Need advice

A couple things I noted when I just started tying:

I can't get the dubbing to stick to the thread? Any thoughts?

Why does my hackle for a wooly worm stay clumped together and not splay nicely? It is dyed by the way.

I can't find hackle for small barbules for dry flys. I guess I have the wrong hackle.

The partridge feathers I use are fragile and snap off when I use the hackle pliers. Am I not supposed to use them or am I just too rough?

Regards,
    paff

[This message has been edited by paflyfisher (edited 29 December 2005).]

One thing I learned about dubbing was to use it in very small amounts. I also had trouble making it stick to the thread at first, but watching other tyers, I discovered that I was using way too much of the stuff. It twists on better in small amounts.
    For the hackle, try holding it by the tip, and use the finger and thumb of the other hand to rub the feather and spread the hackle out. Then tie it in by the tip. With some feathers, this seems to work better.
    For dry flies, try the Whiting 100s. They come packaged in different sizes to match the hooks. Not being too good at picking out sizes on my own, these have helped a lot.
    Not sure what to tell you about the partridge feathers. I haven't used them too much myself.
    Hope these ideas help you out some.
    CJ

------------------
    The only limitations we have are the ones we put on ourselves.

paff:

All very good questions and each is a lengthy response in itself. Since I am not the best or fastest typist, I will take a shot at your first question. However, I suggest you check the Beginning Tying section here at FAOL for information on your questions.

I have found that not all dubbing is created equal when it comes to sticking to the thread. First, you must only twist the dubbing in only one direction to entangle it onto the thread. It does not matter which direction you select, but only twist the dubbing in that one direction. If you twist in two directions, you wrap and then unwrap in one cycle. Second, pull the dubbing from its ball so the strands are extended and as long as possible, not in a ball. Third, apply small amounts of dubbing to a length of thread. It is better to apply a thin layer of dubbing on a longer length of thread than to try a pile a lot of dubbing on a short length of thread. First it is easier to get it to stick with smaller amounts and it gives you greater control in forming a tapered body on the hook shank. Some dubbing is short strands and it is difficult to get it to wrap around the thread. When all else fails, use small amounts of dubbing wax either applied to the thread or your fingers. I like the thread application better as my fingers don't get sticky.

I hope this helps.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

Paff... as far as the partridge.... you may be too rough. But if it is the pre-packaged loose feathers you're using, they have a tendency to dry out in the stem making them brittle. Skins can be expensive, but if you figure in all the flies you can tie off of one skin, the investment is well worth it. Feathers still on the skin retain oil keeping them more flexible.

Mike

paflyfisher;
    cklenske & Dr. Bob (My Doctor's name!!??) are right on with the dubbing advice.
    I think you get a more durable body buy using as little dubbing as possible and build it up in layers. I'll try to pull out at least an inch long "Whisp" of dubbing out of the box (I use H&H dubbing boxs) and spin this on the thread. It's much easier to add dubbing than finding out you've got too much on the thread!
    What Chris said about being gentle, it's sort of a learning curve.
    At the risk of blasphemy and being thrown out of the "Church"!! If a pattern calls for "Brown Hackle Barbules" I may use deer hair or squirrel tail hair!! If I am struck dead for that comment I will you my tying stuff, desk and all, bring a pick up truck!!
    P.S. I don't tye in wings for 16's and smaller!!
    Maddog48 snuck in before I posted this. I've added a damp napkin to some of my feather packages to keep the moisture up.

[This message has been edited by Jack Hise (edited 29 December 2005).]

Everyone - thanks for your comments and feedback. I found some small hackle from H&H - they were very helpful (broken record).

Additionally, I received a Dick Talleur video which was basic but quite good. He is a patient teacher. Are there other videos that are recommended?

Best regards,
    paff

Tyflier,

Thanks for the tips and now my dubbing goes on a lot easier and better.

Regarding the small sized hackle, I bought some Whiting 100s.

Thanks again.

Regards,
    paff

+ Reply to Thread