OK everyone. Here's one we can all bust our brains over.

What is the oldest known surviving fly pattern? I seem to remember reading (maybe in the 'Treatis of Fishinge Wythe an Angle')that the Romans used a piece of fabric tied to a hook to catch fish. Anyone got any ideas about what this might have looked like?

I am making a display of the history of fly-tying for the local Arts Guild. I want to tie a few representive fly patterns typical of each of the different periods, Ancient, Middle Ages, 1400-1700, 19th and 20th century, the future. They will have an exhibition if I can do it.

Another question that intrigues me, anthropologetically(sic) speaking: Was fly fishing never done in the Orient....ever? I've never heard of much comming from that part of the world concerning flies or other-wise. I would've thought that cultures that brought the world origami, the tea ceremony, karate and kung fu, I-Cheng and Zen would've naturally gravitated towards fly-tying and fly-fishing. Anybody know anything about this?

I want to call attention to fly fishing to more people. Fly-Tying is an artform in the purest sense, and deserves recognition as such. And I rank fly-fishing right up there with Tai Chi as a mind and soul cleanser.

I'd appreciate any help anyone could give me.

Semper Fi!