+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whiting spey

Default Whiting spey

I noticed Whiting has 'Spey pelts' on their website. Has anyone been able to buy one yet, and did tey really bring the 'original' Spey cocks back?

Unless it's something really new, I was not impressed. Their Spey hackle of a couple years ago was too fine and very fragile. Just my opinion though.

Happy New Year Trails!
    Ronn
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

Hi josko,

Ronn is right, they are bit soft. I'm pretty sure they are from show birds stock called Silky. If I had to describe them they are about half way between marabou and blue ear pheasant. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:40ddf]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:40ddf]

I played with some couple years ago, then last year I heard that Whiting didn't sell any wholesale spey.

Could this be a "new" product, perhaps improved over the previous offering? Spey v2.0?

------------------
    bubba_orvis

I orderd silver grade Whiting spey hackle last week from Stone River Outfitters .Well it came Saturday and I sent it back this morning.Stringy,no body and almost imposible to seperate the indvidual feathers.No problem with Stone River Outfitters they were more than happy to exchange for another item.Don't even look at the bronze grade junk. I am going to have to look at some of Ron Lucas's hackle.

[This message has been edited by fishingseaducer (edited 28 December 2005).]

[This message has been edited by fishingseaducer (edited 29 December 2005).]

Hi Josko
    I have to agree with ronn I bought one two years ago and it is garbage. I hope they get some new stuff.

I bought one recently, and I have to confess that I am happy with mine.

Its a grizzle, with the characteristic stiff hackles ideal for my purposes in tailing.

I may have just been lucky or maybe they have improved, I have no previous experience of them.
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

You may have bought something different Mickporter as I don't see where Grizzly Spey is offerd on Whitings Web site.

The necks of two years ago were not very impressive. I purchased one in November from the latest crop,,,,,much improved in density and stiffness.

Regards,
    FK

Blog Entries

I am no spey expert by any means, but I wouldn't think stiffness would be a desired quality for spey hackle.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

+ Reply to Thread