+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Beginner Materials

Default Beginner Materials

Hi All
    I have read alot of this forums previous posts and it seems that the general concensus is to not buy a kit because of the material in some kits. So with this in mind , what would you suggest a newbie purchases for materials? Most of my fishing will be foer Rainbow, and Brown Trout in warm water lakes. I thought I would start by tying Wooly Buggers, and Wooly Worms. Please list all materials and quantities a beginner should buy. I know the materials for the above mentioned flys.
    Thankyou
    Gil

Swamprattler,
    I'm fairly new to flytying, but I have a basic grasp on what you might need. Obviously you'll need thread: Black, brown, tan, maybe white. Next, peacock and pheasant tail are use quite commonly used, along with differant hackles: Grizzly, Ginger, and other shades of browns. Also dubbing is very good to have. A few types of hair migth be good to get: Deer, elk, maybe moose? Hooks, I would get standard streamer hooks, for the woolies, and some wet fly, and dry fly hooks, size depending on your local bugs. tools and vises, I would buy cheap first, in case you don't like it ( Highly unlikely ) check around at local fly shops, or sporting good shops to get best deals.
    Althought I just scratched the surface this should get you started, but wait for more replies to get a better idea. Welcome to fly tying!
    - David

------------------
    Game fish are too valuable to only be caught once.
    -Lee Wulff

Swamprattler, if you click on Fly Tying on the menu on the left and then on Basic Tying Kit, you'll get some excellent advice.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

swamprattler Make a list of fly patterns you fish the most. Then if you can't figure out what you need to tie them post it and we can tell you what you need and make suggestions as to which would be easier for a beginner.

------------------
    all leaders tangle; mine are just better at it than most. Jim
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Swamprattler;
    rainbowchaser's on target. When I took lessons 2 years ago I used the receipe's for the fly's we were going to tie to start my material's collection.
    It has now grown into a monster!!
    You didn't say if you had tool yet?

Swamprattler,

You did not say if you had the tools or not. If you do and you know what fly patterns you will be using, I would recommend going to the sponsor's page, click on one of them and purchasing one of the "Fly In The Box" products. It will contain a completely tied fly for a pattern plus the hooks and tying material and instructions for tying 12 flies. They have the Woolly Bugger, nymphs, etc. This way you will know exactly what material you will need to purchase to tie your favorite pattern. They are perfect for the beginner tyer and you will not waste money by buying material and still not no what to do with it to tie the fly. Just my opinion - check it out and see if this is what you can use.

------------------
    Warren
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Peacock herl with a herl rope, learn to use a rope and peacock herl is one of the most abundant body materials you can find, that and many many patterns call for it.

later
    Mike

[This message has been edited by Newfoundlander (edited 16 December 2005).]

I want to thank everyone for the help. From reading the archives and the beginner fly tying articles I had already purchased the tools. Now I have sent for my first materials and I should be tying by Monday. Thanks again and I wish everyone a happy holiday.
    Gil

swamprattler,
    you say tou like hunting, a great source of materials..just be careful its addicting. both tying and collecting.. i don't hunt but have friends and co-workers who do, and i have a complete wall in the garage full of fur and feathers washed, stretched, and drying... like i said its addicting. hope you get to enjoy and stick with this hobby. its a great thing to do. and i found this site to be one of the best around thanks to a lot of great folks enjoy!

to all others... i've got 5 bucks saying by this time next year he's signing up for all the swaps he can get his hands on!!!

------------------
    do what u like, like what u do

Trout Hunter 77;
    That's a sucker bet!!

+ Reply to Thread