+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Klinkhammer Hooks

Default Klinkhammer Hooks

I was planning on tying up some Klinkhammers in the near future and was trying to decide what hooks to order. I'm curious to find out what brand on model people prefer to use for these flies.

I started out with a mustad 81002BR now I tie them on a 1150 diachi or any scud hook.

Partridge 15BN is designed to HvK's specs and is what I use.

I have tried mustad c49s, and they look OK, but would like to get the Partridge - are the sizes pretty equivalent to a regular scud hook size?

Hi buckeyetier,

I use a 200R or equivalent and give the shank a bit of a bend with a pair of pliers. It's probably not the right way but seems to work for me and I don't have to carry another hook style in my inventory. Take care & ...

Tight Lines - Al Beatty [url=http://www.btsflyfishing.com:a88e5]www.btsflyfishing.com[/url:a88e5]

I did a swap a few years back and the tier used the 200R. Like Al mentions, this hook works very well for the pattern and you don't need to have another hook style in your box.

I do have the partridge hooks, but I don't like them for western trout fishing.

------------------
    [url=http://www.rockymtnfly.com:2b0f5]Rocky Mountain Fly[/url:2b0f5]

L. Williams is correct. Partridge (Mustad) Flash Point 15 BN Klinkhammer hooks, 25 in a pack.. I use size 20 as Partridge size 20 is closer to size a normal size 14.. This info and spelling is right off the box.

AlanB Guest

The Klinkhammer was originally tied on a Partridge K12ST hook with the shank bent downabout 1/4 way back from the eye to the shank.

Partrage have, on the second attempt, got the shape right. The latest one is called the 15BNX Klinkhammer Extreme. It is the right shape. Here is a Klinkhammer tied on one of the new hooks.

All the other long shank scud hooks I have see have a much more closed gap than the Partridge one. I noticed a distinct disadvantage to the TMC 200r model when the shank is bent down. It just didn't hook fish as well as it could. The original is by far the best hook for this fly in my experiance.
    Cheers
    Alan.

------------------
    "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

From the Hans' own mouth with thanks to the other Hans:

"I know everybody has his own preference for hooks. Mine will be a hook with a wide gap. My first Klinkh?mer was tied on the partridge K2b known better as the Yorkshire caddis hook and at that time it was available in a much finer wire then today. A huge hook when you are comparing sizes. There were two reasons I changed the hook: the thicker wire and the up eye. I wanted a straight eye, especially when I am tying parachutes. I also wanted to keep the fine wire but also wanted my wide gap what gave me the best and easiest hooking. So this is how I kept on searching and I finally came to my own hook the Partridge GRS15ST."

The GRS15ST is now the 15BN.

The proportions of this hook are far different then what we are accustomed as it is much larger than the size denotes.

10. Default

I use the 15BN...they are quite large...I like the #18...the #16 is ok...but the #12 and #14 I shouldn't have gotten as they are quite large. Chris Helm up in Toledo has them...

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

+ Reply to Thread