+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Than you again, Al Campbell

Default Than you again, Al Campbell

Over the years, I have probably referred to Al's tutorials literally thousands of times, and recommended them just as much. What Al taught me by taking the time to put it all on paper, and making it available to any and all interested, is quite simply priceless.

Sadly, I wasn't around when Al left us, so I haven't had a chance to convey my regrets to his family, my memories of him, or my gratitude for what he shared with me, and all of us.

I have a "new tradition" that I started about 3 years ago, when my daughter began to understand the tangible aspects of Santa Claus and Christmas Eve: I tie flies as I wait for her to wake up and come discover how good she has been.

Last year as I waited for her, I vividly remember carefully reading through some of Al's tutorials to pick up yet another nugget that I had missed before (I always do).

This year, I intend to do the same, and reflect on one of the greatest gifts I ever received from someone who never knew me from Adam (other than a cryptic email address and a plethora of mundane questions over the years), but someone who always was willing to share information, experience, and advice. And as Lady has pointed out, it was the gift of his time to share it with all of us that is, in my mind, the most precious and valuable of all.

Thank you Al. Again. Be with your family this Christmas, say hello to my father and grandfather (both avid fly fishermen and tiers!), and keep looking over my shoulder when I'm at the bench! Eventually, I'll get it right

We miss you terribly, but remember you with a fondness, respect, and appreciation that is as genuine as any I know, and I'll still be thanking you when we finally get to fish and tie together.

You are a good man, and you contributed to our sport the way all of us should aspire to.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.....

1wt,
    Your biggest fan, and most tenured student

Hard to add anything to that other than agreement.....

He also taught me how to build rods. He is so alive to me that I have to remind myself not to send him a question.
    Should I be able to leave 1000th the legacy.

Hi 1 Wt,

This summer I was reaquanted with an old
    friend from the Navy. We were able to fish
    together several times and I passed on what
    little I knew about flyfishing. Today, we
    got together and I showed him how to tie
    several of the patterns we commonly use. I
    also introduced him to Al Campbell here on
    FAOL. I assured him, most any question at
    all that he could come up with on fly fishing or tying, Al had a answer for him
    here on FAOL. May Al live on through all
    of us as well as here on the pages of FAOL.
    Warm regards, Jim

1WT... I would try to add to what you have said but decided not to in event I would ruin what you so eloquently stated. Thank you...

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

[This message has been edited by maddog48 (edited 17 December 2005).]

For those who may not know, we are in process of producing all of Al's tying instruction into Spanish...currently there is the complete Beginning and up to #30 in the Intermediate section. Beyond that, his tying instruction is on [url=http://www.pipam.com:10ebe]www.pipam.com[/url:10ebe] (Italy) on a Russian Fly Tying Club website (in Russian) and a site in Hong Kong in Chinese. He may be gone, but he lives on.

------------------
    LadyFisher, Publisher of
    FAOL

I was away from FAOL for a good spell, I heard of Al Campell's Passing, a good almost year I suppose, after it had happened. I was shocked to say the least as I use to email him often with questions about his flies, tutorials and always got the help I needed.
    I asked questions about everything from stoneflies to taking pics with digital cams and always got an answer, much like I periodically do to Ronn Lucas now, who also always answers my queries as well.

Thanks Al
    Why, "Because Al Said So, "

Good words for a good man. Well said.
    I also had lots of questions that Al answered, either on the bulletin board or by e-mail. I also referred to his tutorials often, and learned a lot. I even printed out a lot of them to keep by the tying bench - too far away from the computer desk to keep running back and forth.
    One of my favorite fly swaps was an Al C. Wannabe swap. We each tied up one of his pattern, and he was kind enough to critic them for us. He even tied up a fly for each of us. I have it framed in a shadow box and it hangs right above my desk. I keep looking to it for inspiration, hoping to someday be half as good.
    Thanks again, Al.
    CJ

------------------
    The only limitations we have are the ones we put on ourselves.

Amen to all of the above sentiments.

LF...by the way do you have a URL to the Russian website? I just got back from a wonderful week in Saint Petersburg, Russia and can actually read just a wee wee bit of Russian now....LOL. It would be neat to try to read the series in Russian

------------------
    Take care everyone and cya around. Mark

edit...just dont get the idea that I am any good at Russian in case anyone wants anything translated....LOL.....cause I am terrible but it still should be interesting

[This message has been edited by MarkKillam (edited 19 December 2005).]
    Take care and cya around,

Mark

My dad and I always looked at his articles, he helped me plenty of times. Every body will miss him. we all appreciated his help.

thanks,
    FisherKid93

+ Reply to Thread