Over the years, I have probably referred to Al's tutorials literally thousands of times, and recommended them just as much. What Al taught me by taking the time to put it all on paper, and making it available to any and all interested, is quite simply priceless.

Sadly, I wasn't around when Al left us, so I haven't had a chance to convey my regrets to his family, my memories of him, or my gratitude for what he shared with me, and all of us.

I have a "new tradition" that I started about 3 years ago, when my daughter began to understand the tangible aspects of Santa Claus and Christmas Eve: I tie flies as I wait for her to wake up and come discover how good she has been.

Last year as I waited for her, I vividly remember carefully reading through some of Al's tutorials to pick up yet another nugget that I had missed before (I always do).

This year, I intend to do the same, and reflect on one of the greatest gifts I ever received from someone who never knew me from Adam (other than a cryptic email address and a plethora of mundane questions over the years), but someone who always was willing to share information, experience, and advice. And as Lady has pointed out, it was the gift of his time to share it with all of us that is, in my mind, the most precious and valuable of all.

Thank you Al. Again. Be with your family this Christmas, say hello to my father and grandfather (both avid fly fishermen and tiers!), and keep looking over my shoulder when I'm at the bench! Eventually, I'll get it right

We miss you terribly, but remember you with a fondness, respect, and appreciation that is as genuine as any I know, and I'll still be thanking you when we finally get to fish and tie together.

You are a good man, and you contributed to our sport the way all of us should aspire to.

Thank you, thank you, thank you.....

1wt,
Your biggest fan, and most tenured student