+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Recommend a bobbin

Default Recommend a bobbin

I'm about to replace several bobbins which I have donated over the past year. What's your favorite in terms of good tension control without having to readjust it very often?

I have a couple of old Orvis bobbins that are by far my favorites, but they don't make them like they used to Does anyone?

I'm a huge fan of the Nor-Bobbin. Easy to control thread tension, no cranking extra thread back on the bobbin, just move the bobbin back to the hook, the clutch takes it up. Comfortable to work with, all ceramic tube.

Cons: You have to wind thread on the Nor-Spools instead of using the original thread spool. That and the price of over $50 for the bobbin, three spools and an arbor to use in the vise or electric drill for loading the spools.

These bobbins seem to have a love-hate thing going on. People either love them (like me) or hate them, very few folks in the middle ground.

REE

Griffin ceramics.

Allan

I'll second the griffin's as they are all I have experience with.

Thanks REE for the clear and concise defining of the Nor...Sounds like to much work for to much money for me...

I can see where that love hate thing would come into play...lol

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill

[This message has been edited by billknepp (edited 15 December 2005).]
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

I got a Griffin a few years ago and have not needed to get any more.

I use Tiemco ceramic bobbins. I bought about 12 of them when they first came out many years ago and am still using them. I have had one problem with one of them. For some reason it would cut very fine thread. They exchanged it at no cost to me. I like them as there tubes are very fine and I tie a lot of Spring Creek style flies on small hooks.

I think for the most part it will be what you get use to using as to what you will buy. But buy Ceramic and you will not be replacing them anytime soon. I wish Nor made one. Ron

Matterelli long tube or standard tube. They work great for me and last forever.

For the feature you ask about-tension control- I would say hands-down the Ekich automatic bobbin is one of the very best there is. Mr. Faruk Ekich is also a FAOL sponsor. Search on Ekich Bobbins and there are plenty of posts on them, as well as a review here on FAOL too. I have couple and they make tying more fun and speed up the mundane processes too.

Rich

I'll second the Matterelli. I've used mine for years production tying and they show no sign of giving up. I wish I could find more! I can't seem to find them around my parts any longer.

[This message has been edited by Salmonfly (edited 16 December 2005).]

I'll put in another vote for the Tiemco ceramic.

I have a Griffin ceramic as well, just a touch bulkier than the Tiemco, but I do like it.

Steve

+ Reply to Thread