+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Thread for Spinning Deer Hair

Default Thread for Spinning Deer Hair

Those of you who spin deer hair...

which thread(s) do you use? I'm new at it and looking for recommendations.

Thanks.
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Blog Entries

Diane,
    I have used Danville flat waxed nylon and mono-cord with pretty good results. Chris Helm swears by GSP thread for spinning deer hair. i have a couple of spools of GSP that a friend gave me but I haven't tried it yet.
    Steve

------------------
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"-Will Rogers
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went"
    Will Rogers

Diane,

I'm pretty sure that a couple of guys I know who tie the tightest packed spun deer hair flies use GSP thread. Probably a lot has to do with the size of the bunch of hair used. On smaller flies you can get by with 6/0 or 3/0 or monocord. On flies where you'll typically use larger bunches, you may need stronger thread. I've always read to stay away from kevlar.

Hope this helps.

Allan

Recently, I read somewhere that 10# braided spectra type line works well...????

Diane
    I use Danville 3/0 monocord for hair bugs
    sized 6,8,10, . For large hooks I use rod
    winding thread and can crank up the pressure.

Happy tying,
    Stephen

Why stay away from Kevlar?
    We have used 2# mono successfully. If it breaks though, the WHOLE danged thing comes apart!
    ....lee s.

I use GSP. The stuff is very slick (sometimes a good thing, sometimes a bad thing) very strong and it takes very sharp scissors to cut it.

Jay

Hi Diane.....kevlar is a pain and not really necessary IMO...GSP is a pain too and not readily available at most flyshops Ive been to.....On big flys I use flat waxed nylon. I have yet to break this stuff and it slides easily on the shank which makes packing the hair easier. On irrisistables and other amaller flys I use 12/0 Benichi. You are in for some fun now!....Jason

------------------
    "There's always room for one more wrap of hackle"

I've also heard folks say to stay away from Kevlar thread, the reason is that it can cut through your skin if you pull it against a finger, etc. I work construction and my hands are a bit tougher than others, but I'd still be careful with Kevlar.

I was told to use a "G" thread. I bought a spool of Orvis brand and have tied a few mice with it, but it'll still break when you pull too tight. I never had one come untied or fall apart, though.

------------------
    There's almost nothin' wrong with the first lie, it's the weight of all the others holdin' it up that gets ya'! - Tim

[This message has been edited by MOturkE (edited 13 December 2005).]
    Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Diane,
    I tye alot of deer hair bugs and use GSP for that..small stuff like a goddard caddis I'll just use monocord Gel spun (GSP) has more strenth and is also slicker and may help in certian ways ,and the strenth virsus diamiter is the main reason most prefer GSP when stacking hair....and is stronger than kevlar of compareable size,Keep in mind that all threads with a 4lb. or more breaking strenth can cut the material,It's the tyer who controls the thread!

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread