+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Tying Bench

Default New Tying Bench

My old tying bench was a 6 foot by 2 foot melamine top sitting on an old folding table. All my material was stored in plastic boxes under the table. Everytime I sat down to tie, I'd kick over a stack of boxes, then I'd have to hunt through the various boxes to find what I needed. Not any more!

My lovely wife, VEE, made me buy a couple of 8 drawer cabinets at our local Fred Meyer store for $99 each. Each cabinet also has a swinging door on the side that holds flash material, pheasant tails, etc, hanging on cup hooks.

Dropped my old top across the two cabinets and Presto! A new place to tie.

To simplify things I'm going to put card holder drawer pulls on each drawer so I know whats there at a glance (as long as I put things where they belong).

Thought I'd toss this out for any one looking for something new for their tying area.

There's a couple of pictures at
    [url=http://reagleelk.photosite.com/REEsTyingArea/:c62e6]http://reagleelk.photosite.com/REEsTyingArea/[/url:c62e6]

Enjoy,

REE

Ron, those cabinets are just the thing! What a great way to organize your stuff and support the table top. I really like the idea of the card drawer pulls and am going to do the same here. Thanks for the idea. Vicki, you're a genius.

Diane
    "If I'm not going to catch anything, then I 'd rather not catch anything on flies" ... Bob Lawless

Ron, your post inspired me to go home and organize my mess. I still have a relatively small amount of materials and tools, and I've been tying on an old wooden TV tray.

Last night I went home and drilled holes in it so that all of my tools can stand up, and I reorganized the messy box of skins/furs/capes/junk that I've got.

I'll see if I can't post a picture.

cheers,
    ray

Merry Christmas! And you thought it was going to be a Sage! JGW

White43,

The Sage was a birthday present. Thankfully, VEE and I both love fly fishing and tying so picking gifts for one another is pretty much a no brainer. If it's something I'd like to have, she would like it too.

There's something to be said for a woman who would rather get a dry fly neck than a dozen roses as a gift.

REE

Poor woman must have a softness for marabou! JGW

Hey Ron,

Makes a great looking desk. I love the
    large shallow drawers. Must really make it
    easy to lay your hands on what your looking
    for. My drawers are deep and it's a pain as
    I have to stack stuff in layers. Great
    idea ya'll had.*G* Enjoy. Warm regards, Jim

WOW! I've been looking for some type of drawer unit to store materials in. I think you have found just the thing! I love the wide shallow drawers. Nice job!

------------------
    Flopper
    Tye Me, Fly Me, Whip Me, Strip Me.
    Brook trout always remind me that there must be a higher power.

Dale

Ron,

Whats a Fred Meyer store.....Never heard of em....thats a great price on the cabinets...have yet to spot such..And I'm always looking...one of these days I will have to ask to use my brothers work shop and just build what I want.......

Great setup...Enjoy...!
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

NoahsBoyz,
    What a coincidence..just a couple of hours ago I was in Freddie's and saw just those cabinets....almost made me wish I needed a new tying area.
    You didn't tell these guys about the nice little compartments in some the drawers....at least the one drawer I opened had them.

To answer the question... Fred Meyer's is a Northwest chain that was using the super store concept long before Wal-Mart.

+ Reply to Thread