+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Quality Control

Default Quality Control

Several months ago I purchased a box of bead heads. Over the weekend I opened it up for the first time to tie up a bunch for a swap, and to my suprise, 5 of the 30 beads weren't usable, and by not usable I mean either not drilled or only partially drilled. My question is this, have others experienced similiar problems with quality control, or did I just happen to get the anomaly?

I had a similar problem about six months ago. My beads weren't partially drilled, but the hole on the big end (opposite the hook eye side) had really sharp burrs left on almost all of the beads in a pack of two dozen. In fact, the burrs were sharp enough to cut and fray my thread (6/0 Danville). I smoothed them with a diamond hook file and that seemed to work fine, but beads are a fairly expensive part of a fly and it seems to me you shouldn't have to do this. I don't recall which brand of beads they were, so I won't guess.

-Darryl

------------------
    "If we carry purism to it's logical conclusion, to do it right you'd have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But, so as not to violate another essential element of the fly-fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300 each."

~John Gierach
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

If you have a manufacturer, I would contact them. If not, I would talk to your retailer. Folks know that problems happen and generally want to make you happy.

I get all of my beads from Hoppy Lobby, even Gold Plated ones and I've never had that problem. I'm sure if they did there would be some crafters boycot Hobby Lobby. {:O)
    Kahuna

buckeyetier;
    kahuna may have hit it. Plated, the electrolisis process used to plate may have smoothed out the edges. Or, on parts as small as metal beads a reverse plating or tumbling process would be used to remove burrs. I would think tumbling as with the proper medium they would also be polished.
    Maybe your beads missed a process?
    Let the Manufacturer know.

I contacted the company (Cabelas) and told them about my problem, but since I had used some of the good beads from the package there was nothing they could do about it. Oh well, I guess I learned my lesson, only shop from FAOL sponsors.

buckeye... don't use one experience as an example of their customer services. As you said, you did use some of the beads already. I have used Cabelas off and on for years and have had no trouble with them at all.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

Buckeyetier;
    Cabela's response sort of upsets me. How do you know if you have a problem if you don't use some?

maddog,

I think my response was made in the heat of the moment. This wasn't my first order from Cabela's, and up to this point I have been nothing but happy with their service and quality. Any time you buy through mail order you assume the risk of not being able to inspect the merchandise. I think that from now on I will buy things like beads and eyes from my local flyshop, but I certainly don't intend to stop using mail order. I guess I was just a little upset with their response, but looking back at it now there wasn't anything I really expected them to do.

buckeye... I know exactly what you're saying and thinking. There are times that I have questioned service and eventually just had to "step back and regroup." In a case like Cabelas, it's even more upsetting if you are used to getting good service from them and all of a sudden they do a 180 on you. I do have to admit it's been a long time since I have ordered from them and maybe they have slipped some. I use another company pretty much exclusively now... except for hackle. That's Conranch all the way.

Mike

------------------
    There is no greater fan of flyfishing than the worm.

Patrick McManus

+ Reply to Thread