+ Reply to Thread

Thread: The Buck Bug/bomber

Default The Buck Bug/bomber

I was just thinking, yeah know it's stunning to think about, when you consider the size of a bug/bomber.
    This was my number one dry fly this season hands down. Hell, this was my number one producer this season, wet or dry, it beat 'em all. Its amazing to see a fly that size sit on the water and watch a fish rise to it, after all this isn't a dainty little match the hatch type rig, .
    They are fun to tie even more fun to fish and I can't think of any other fly that comes in so many sizes and colours or produces such yeild fished wet or dry.

Hey Mike, I like the picture from your previous post about the Kool-aid dye.
    Those bugs look, well, real buggy.

When I first started fly fishing and tying, My uncle from back home sent me about a dozen flies, of which there were two bugs. These flies were tied with White Caribou, orange hackle and white calf tail.

I was a stubborn beginner and only wanted to fish flies that I had tied myself so these bugs didn't see the water until one frustrating October evening when I couldn't get anything else to work for me.

I tied on a size eight bug, and although I didn't hook my intended species, a nice 10" out of season Brookie nailed that thing on what I believe was my first cast.
    It was getting dark but that bug brought a few more rises before I gave up for the night.

Since that time I have been tying these bugs and having great success on the larger rivers that I fish.
    They often seem to be just the remedy for catching the largest trout on dries when the fishing is good and the trout are not too fussy.

I tie them in size eight down to a size sixteen, which is way too small to do often.

I don't know if you ever multi-tone your bugs but I often find these to work very well also.

Here is a few: [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/Yaffle/BRBKYellowBug.jpg:38644]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/Yaffle/BRBKYellowBug.jpg[/url:38644] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/Yaffle/YelGrizOverBrBkBug.jpg:38644]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/Yaffle/YelGrizOverBrBkBug.jpg[/url:38644] [url=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/Yaffle/PinkGrBlBug.jpg:38644]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v307/Yaffle/PinkGrBlBug.jpg[/url:38644]
    -Yaf

[This message has been edited by Yaffle (edited 19 November 2005).]

A warm summers rain falls down on a quiet fishing stream
    Lined with cabins, smoke straight to the sky
    Two ol fishin buddies with never a care
    Teasing a trout with a fly.
    (Simani, "This Isle of Mine")

spinning hair is something i cant get the hang of, ive read a ton of info on it, but cant pull it off

Yaf those multi-coloured bugs look GREAT.
    White body, orange hackle is my number one go to bug, they work wickedly here.
    Mike Spinning hair is easy if you place the hair in front of the shank on an angle, and not on top like many may suggest. By placing the hair in front of the shank and on an angle you can take two turns around the material and bind down alot more before you release the hair for spinning. By binding almost all the way before releasing to spin the material is better secure and less likely to go out of control. Just make a X with the hair and the shank wrap 2 turns of thread where they meet, pull to flare it out, then release it and keep a finger near the back of it pressed against it slightly as it spins for added control.
    Also remember that you dont need to spin suggested amounts such as pencil clump size, with this method you can spin alot less and its easier to control and manipulate as you learn the process. Also by placing the hair this way you can snug up your next clump much closer to the last clump for the next spin. Sure it will take you probably 5 to 7 clumps to spin out a body instead of the 3 or 4, but does it really matter.
    Try it.
    later
    Mike

[This message has been edited by LadyFisher (edited 19 November 2005).]

ill be trying that today, i have read, and tried the "x" method, but not with the step by step, thanks.

and ill post here about another one of your posts. why not build yourself an 8 wt, or any wt for that matter, ive built 2 rods this past year, and its a fraction of the price for what youd pay for a factory job, and also, a fraction of the weight.

[This message has been edited by Mike.K (edited 20 November 2005).]

Mike K,
    If that doesn't do it for you I'd suggest A.K.Best's tying Terresteral's video...he does a great job of walking one thruogh the steps on his hopper pattern...already had the deer hair thing in check when I bought that series...but it sure would have been a great thing to have years eariler when I first started.

My first fly was Larry Dalbergs Mega Diver for pike...From the infisherman video Flyfishing for Pike...But he does not spin hair on his diver patterns....he uses a stacking method..that is every bit as durable..but way faster than spinning...I employ both methods as needed..

A Chris Helm tape is another....I hear hes quite the master deer hair tyer...I have not gotten his video yet...but some day I will...as the only difficulty I have is in stacking multi colors....

The Bomber is one my fav Smallie flies...and works wonders on all species here in PA...the Devil/Cooper bug is a close second...both mimic alot things out there...great flies...

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

IT WORKED, you have no idea how much hair ive gone through trying to do this. thanks

Great, now once you spun some, i usually travel through the first clump 2 or 3 turns until I think im close enough to the edge of the clump to pull it all back and place some thread wraps in front of the clump as to have a clean area for the next clump. Placing thread wraps in front of each clump keeps it back out of the way for the next clump of hair.
    The more you practice the better you will get Mike, and soon enough it will be a really easy thing for you to do. Just remember you can learn quicker by just trying to spin and control small clumps. With the right kind of hair even small clumps will travel all the way around the hook.
    From one islander to another

Hey Mike maybe one day I'll do a fly of the week to show you my method of hackling a bug, its strong unintrusive, and you only disturb the hair one time. When I started tying bugs I had no one to show me the correct way to reinforce body hackle but after about a week of breaking hackles after a few strikes from the fish I developed a neat little trick to reinforce the hackle. My hackle would break all the time cause I use to tie in the hackle at the rear and then spin the body. I still tie in the hackle at the rear and then spin the body but now my hackle never breaks or rarely does.
    One bug caught me 50 "10-12 inch trout" and then went on a few days later to hook 2 salmon and land one, and it still stayed in tack.
    later
    Mike

[This message has been edited by Newfoundlander (edited 21 November 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread