+ Reply to Thread

Thread: It's not effeminate

Default It's not effeminate

Maybe I'm reinventing the wheel but I've found that a household flatiron will do a perfect job of straightening saddle hackles and mallars flank feathers that have curved spines or cupped barbules. Put a moistened feather on the inoning board,convex side up, hold the feather by the stem, press the hot iron on top and pull the straightened feather out. For me it's a breakthrough.
    P.S. I also "steam" chenille and poly yarn.

Ray,

I'd type this with a lisp but aside from not knowing how, it would probably be considered Politically Incorrect(-;

Anyway, I've suggested steaming flank feathers and other materials with an iron for years. I iron all the wood duck and mallard flank feathers that I use because it makes it easier to tie.

Now, I refuse to tell you what my favorite style of panty hose is and how I use it.

Allan

Blog Entries

Well, I'll have to have my wife do it then - Sounds like woman's work to me.

Ray - whats the trick to 'steaming' chenille? I had some that was pretty mashed from being on the card so thought I'd try it. It twisted so badly I tossed it. Too much heat? Now I'm gunshy.

thnx..g
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

This time of year with the dry heat (To keep the house warm) I sometimes "Steam my tying stuff" on a "Spatter Guard" over a large pot of boiling water. This "Iron" trick sounds interesting!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

HideHunter: To answer your question re chenille, I pull about one foot sections of the material between my hands under modest tension and slowly move it back and forth through the steam jet from a teakettle. It is best if you try to work close to the teakettle where you "can't see the steam". If you work out where you see the steam it's not steam but is water vapor. It will work there but not quite as quickly. Just move it back and forth concentrating on the worst spots. Steaming is also good for reviving gunked up flies to make them look like new. Just hold them with tweezers but remember that steam is really hot.
    The same scheme works for Poly yarn and coiled up leaders but you must hold a lot of tension on the area being steamed and maintain it until it cools down or it won't work.
    P.S. I've also used the flatiron technique to straighten bucktail that has a curve in it that you don't want.

[This message has been edited by Ray Kunz (edited 20 November 2005).]

Blog Entries

Thanks gentlemen. I'll try both.
    "Flyfishing is not a religion. You can make up your own rules as you go.".. Jim Hatch.. 2/27/'06

+ Reply to Thread