I also teach a Beginners Fly Tying class and have been for over 5 years. It is by no means a "uptown" fancy class. I limit my classes to no more than 6 students and teach at the local Junior College. The question on what I should buy always comes up and I have always told them to not purchase the kits due to having material they may never need since the kits will enable cold water, warm water and salt water fishermen a small amout of material to tie those flies. I recommend to them to just purchase a vise and tools to tie flies. I recommend that they not purchase the cheapest vise nor the most expensive vise. I then recommend that they purchase the "Fly in The Box" kits. I recommend that they purchase this kit since it will give them just the right amout of material to tie one dozen of a particular pattern. They need to tie one pattern over and over and try to improve on each fly as they tie it. As they progress with their tying, they can purchase material to tie the flies that they intend to use on their local waters. If they should decide that tying is not for them, they can easily sell the tools and vise. If they get the "bug" as bad as I have it, then they can invest mega bucks into tying material for their collection! I have more tying material than I will ever use and will continue to purchase more just because I love it. Since I furnish all vises and material for my classes, I do get rid of some of my collection of material at the classes in the teaching part plus I usually give material away to the students to get them started. I would never recommend that they go out and purchase a lot of material at the beginning for the simple reason that they have no idea what they need or if fly tying is something they want to continue with. If they fall in love with it, may God be with them and make sure you have a large enough room! I know I love it and the room continues to shrink!!

------------------
Warren