+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Whiting Pro Grade?

Default Whiting Pro Grade?

Looking for a review of these capes. I have a bunch of saddles, but I was looking for some larger feathers, so I thought about getting a few of these to fill in the gaps. Plus if you buy a rooster they come with a hen for only $20.

How do they compare to their silver and bronze brothers? What is the size range of the feathers? And what percent of feathers are in each size range? How is the barb density?

What is the size range for the hens?

Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks. -Silver Badger

I bought a silver last year. Have tied over 100 flies and it doesn't look like I've even put a dent in it. I tie a lot of smaller flies but the cape or neck (I'm not sure which is which) has good feathers for 12s' to 28s'. The guy didn't have any smaller hooks or I could have made some smaller. I know that some people here are having problems with whiting. When I started using this neck/cape, I feel like my tieing went to another level.

The other MW

Problems with Whiting? What problems?

------------------

Martin! How are you doing? Any chance you are coming to the International FT Show in Somerset weekend next? Good to see you post.,...Regards.....Bob

AlanB Guest

I've been using pro grade for a while. They are just the same as silver or gold just that some of the hackles are missing their tips. This doesn't matter because the tips are so fine you wouldn't use them anyway. Well worth the money.

If you want larger hackles the pro grade only goes up to about #8.

Regards,

Alan.

Hey Bob,
    No, won't be able to make it. I just returned from CO, and am grounded for a while which gives me plenty of time to tie and fish
    Will try to post more often - thanks
    Martin

Over the past year I have purchased three of the grade necks you are asking about. I love the hen necks -- they are perfect for some of the small nymphs and wet flies I use. The Tyer's Grade necks are excellent IMHO. Granted, I am not a fantastic tyer, but I have tied some pretty cool parachutes in sizes 20 and 22. I have no idea how many flies each neck will tie ... same goes for the number of flies in a particular size. However, I've got a feeling these will last me for years.
    Also, I purchased a silver half-saddle about a year ago. Sweet. It seems to me that maybe the silver saddle is a little more dense than the Tyer's Grade. The barbules seem to be a little closer together. Honestly though, there's not that much difference. I bought the saddle because I like pulling one feather out and tying 8-12 flies from one stem; saves me time from hunting 8-12 different feathers from the cape.

Just my thoughts.

Regards,
    GQualls

+ Reply to Thread