+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uses for Indian Capes

Default Uses for Indian Capes

We realize how today?s genetic hackle capes are so much nicer than the Indian capes some of us used years ago. I was curious as to what some of the tiers are using them for now that we have such great hackle in the genetic capes. Are we still finding uses for them (and what are those uses), given them away, or even thrown them out, etc.? Thanks!

Variants, the old Indian necks had nice long stiff hackles. Drakes I use them alot, even thought the hackles are not as long it can still be hard to find and the Indian necks work just fine. The newer necks are not like they used to be, I dont buy many anymore, unless I get a look at them.

The rounded tips also make very good streamers.

Joe Fox

[This message has been edited by ashbourn (edited 18 October 2005).]

Streamers! They make great feather wings . . . I've been finding them for as little as $5 at shows. Some guys are dumping them in favor of genetic hackle. My gain!

Joe

There are a lot of useful Indian capes around still and I always have a troll through any bargain bins, especially for hen necks which are cheaper than the rooster.
    If you want to tie lots of Spider(soft hackle) variants, just the job.

------------------
    Donald/Scotland
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

I'm with Flyfishingmichigan. Great streamer hackle and the price cannot be beat.

------------------
    "The more widely one observes nature, the more it appeals to one's soul. Why? Because there is a music there; and the wider one's outlook on life becomes, the deeper one's understanding of life, the more music one can listen to, the music that
    answers the whole universe." --Inayat Khan

Jim Krul wrote an article in the Winter 2004 issue of Fly Tyer called "Cheap Feathers-Good Hackle" all about Indian & Chinese necks. The best part of the article for me was his reminiscing about Fly Fisherman's Bookcase; what a place!

I used to dye a lot of Indian necks back in the old days so I still have a few in some colors that I can't find in genetic necks. I still use some of it for hackling certain emergers I tie and streamer wings.

I can't bear to get rid of it

I lost about 150 of them when we got flooded. I still use them for the same thing I use to. Dry flies of the right size are just as good tied with and Indian cape as they are with anyother cape. It just tkaes a might more hackle to do the same thing.

They are also still good for wet flies and nymph's that require soft hackle for there legs. Lots of good uses for them out there. You just have to know how and when to use them. Ron

This Bird Flu thing has me worried as they may stop the import of them? I sure hope not as it will up the price of the ones grown here.

You are limited in your use of available materials, only by your own imagination. Try thinking outside the box.

1st Rule: There are no rules.

Use a lot for some of the patterns in my own box. I only get real choosey, using genetic
    Whiting when I am tying orders for other customers !!!!! Certainly for the patterns
    I fish with, I still find Indian Capes are just as good !!!!!

Well...Seems MY" Secret is out...lol...I am shocked that you pro's will admit to use'in em on your dries though....lol...I can't really claim to have any real "Genitic" capes to my name...unless the Cabela's whitings count?????....lol...I'm cheap....and Not a wealthy man I must admit...even if I were Wealthy.... I'd not change a thing in my tying/Hackling habits.....

------------------
    "I've often wondered why it is that so many anglers spend so much money on,and pay so much attention to.the details on the wrong end of the fly line.If they took as much care in selecting or tying their flies as they did in the selection of the reel and rod,They might be able to gain the real extra edge that makes it possible to fool a fish that has,in fact,seen it all before" A.K.Best

Everyone wants to excel in this sport but at the same time we let traditionalists place restrictions on our tactics, methods, and ideas. I always assumed that fly fishing was a sport that allowed imagination, creation, adaptation, investigation, dedication, education, revelation? : Fox Statler, On Spinners (Not the dainty Dry Fly kind) "Spinner'd Minner Fly"

"Wish ya great fishing"

Bill
    Wish ya great fishing,Bill

+ Reply to Thread