I was playing around for a bit with using wire for a dubbing loop. I was tying a hares ear nymph and I got to the hackle and realized I forgot a wing case. For the hell of it I grabed a pair of duck wings. I have only tyed 5 winged wet flies one came out ok the others were, well bad. I learned how to tie on a quill wing about a month ago when I got a chance to watch Mary Dette tie a couple. I never bothered to learn because she has kept me busy tying dries. Well not wanting to take apart the nice body I made I took two sections from the quills and placed them on the desk. Placed them on the top/sides of the body and tied it down. An almost perfect wing. I then tied two coachman both came out great not as good as the first but better then any I have done before tonight.
I guess what I am asking is how offen do you find that when you stop doing something for a short peroid of time and then come back you thend to learn more then when you last did it. I have had this happen many times in the past with my tying, Leisenring dubbing look, dubbing with a noodle, and now quill wings.

Joe Fox