+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Fly Tying Workspace

Default Fly Tying Workspace

I want to build a fly tying workbench. I want it to go on top of a desk.

Size is not a problem, big enough to be of use but no so big to be unwieldy. I would like it to be semi-permenant, but so between seasons or if I need to I can stack it away.

I want everything at hand. I have good woodworking skills so don't want to buy one, and I wondered if anyone here had built their own they could give me some ideas for the ideal. Also if they can supply some dimensions etc....
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

Hmmm. Maybe google fly tying cabinets to get an idea. At the shows over here several booths make and sell them and I would imagine they all have a site. You would need enough depth so in a larger flat drawer necks would fit in sideways... smaller drawers for tools and thread... All depends on how detailed you want to go. You can get little brass label holders . I'd advise against making the drawers too small. I also would suggest drawers rather than cubby holes to keep things dust free. Cubby holes may make things easier to see but do collect dust especially if you have pets in the house.
    Good luck. When you get finished put a pic of it on here...Bob

Mick;
    My tying bench, a cut down wood desk from the used furnature store, 40 bucks, also was going South with a collection of (collection h..l pile of!) supplies. Had to do somthing or else!
    Sterlite makes several size 3 drawer cabinets available at the local $ stores. Transparent drawers so you can see what's in them, I also lableled the drawers as to their contents. Dymo Letra Tag with clear tape. Much better!!

------------------
    I feel more like I do now than I did when I got here!

Cactus AKA "Lucky Dog (Pirate Name)"

What I really need is not so much a drawer/storage system. I have good storage for my materials. What I need is a workspace.

Somewhere to fit my vice, clamp my magnifier and light. Hold bobbins and tools. Arrange my varnish and cements so I can reach them easily without having stuff scattered all over my desktop. Keep everything at hand so I can get what I need without scrabbling around in drawers trying to find them....

I have looked on google and have found several which all have good points, so I want to copy the best and create a perfect desktop.
    Best regards and tight lines

Mick Porter

Hi Mick,

Only you can decide how much space is
    suitable for your tying needs. The one here
    works well for me. May be entirely wrong
    for you. I offer it only as food for
    thought in an effort to stir your creative
    juices.*G* Warm regards, Jim [url=http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/readerscast/rc251.html:50b81]http://www.flyanglersonline.com/features/readerscast/rc251.html[/url:50b81]

Okay, so you want more of a tool caddy

I ended up using a butcher block kitchen table as the worktop, and then an Oasis bench and a thread rack.

------------------
    - rriver

[This message has been edited by rriver (edited 04 November 2005).]

Jim,

That is a pretty nice setup you have. I did not notice it before. Myself, I do not have the woodworking skills or tools.

------------------
    - rriver

[This message has been edited by rriver (edited 05 November 2005).]

rriver;
    those are the Sterlite drawers I hsve!! Where did you find the thread holder?

Jack,

I bought the thread rack at a sewing shop. I got the idea from an Al Campbell article I think. It is pretty handy. If I don't have my thread out, I forget what I have.

------------------
    - rriver

+ Reply to Thread