+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Fly Tying Books

Default Fly Tying Books

I hope this is a comment that might help others. I have many books on fly tying, and a certain subset is not on tying flies, but instead on techniques, or solving tying problems. When I was a beginning tier, I found these books frustrating because I always wanted full instructions on the fly being used to talk about the problem or technique. The point was great, but the details on the fly was missing. The author did this to focus the book on technique, not on flies.

Now, I find these books wonderful resources with gems of ideas as I re-read them. Sometimes one might feel a book is not helpful, when it really is, because they are not ready to use it yet. One of best I think is "Tying Better Flies" by Art Scheck, and the worst is "The Benchside Reference Guide". I'm sure many disagree, but this is a small sample of the insanity of this book:

The section on tying prince nymph wings references another section on tying feather tip tent wings, not exactly the equivilent. Given 444 pages, you think they could have made room for the wings of the most highly sold fly ever.

I did finally learn how to tie good prince nymph wings, but not from the benchside reference.

------------------
    - rriver

I have some really old books -- from the 60's believe it or not and these are great for some older patterns that are still used today. Problem is, they don't talk about the new materials. I would like to know what books you find best for a beginner like myself.
    dc

------------------
    Many men go fishing all of their lives
    without knowing that it is not fish they
    are after.

Henry David Thoreau

dscapuano,

"I have some really old books -- from the 60's"

OUCH!

The techniques in those books have hardly changed. Sure there are new materials and some are excellent. However, hone down your techniques and you'll have no problem adapting. IMHO, the book by Eric Leiser, Complete Book of Fly Tying, is one of the best books on fly tying ever written.

Allan

Double ouch!!! Go back a little further. Read Herter, Rhead, Sawyer, Dunne, Skues and Halford just for starters...

[This message has been edited by mantis (edited 01 November 2005).]

I think one of the best overall fly tying books that can be used by anyone is "Trout Flies, the Tier's Reference" by Dave Hughes. It has all the classics, with easy to follow photographs and instructions.

If you want to really learn fast, get the "Expert Techniques for Creative Fly-Tying" from Orvis. This is a 3 CD set of 53 patterns. These are media files that you can then create DVD's from. I cannot remember the tier's name, he is a young canadian, but this guy is amazing. He has the kind of skills you can only get from production tying. It is an easy step by step format.

------------------
    - rriver

[This message has been edited by rriver (edited 02 November 2005).]

Oh, my! The Kid can really sling some pain!

How 'bout Herter, Marbury, or Shaw?

Usually, learning fast doesn't produce the results desired for the duration. Slow, methodical, persistant, and patience. Great modicums.
    Maybe age has it's rewards. We're not into that instant gratification thing, and we appreciate quality.

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places

[This message has been edited by Betty Hiner (edited 02 November 2005).]
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Thanks,
    I found an old book by Joseph Bates in our library called "Streamers and Bucktails" circa 1966 (I think I had my hair and teeth back then). I loved this book so much that my daughter bought it for me for my birthday. It's out of print now, but you can get used copies on Amazon.

I started fly fishing just this year, but I've been fishing most of my life. As you say, the equipment has changed a lot, but the basic sport hasn't. That's why these books are important.

Thanks again,
    dc

------------------
    Many men go fishing all of their lives
    without knowing that it is not fish they
    are after.

Henry David Thoreau

I found that tying well was learning how to handle materials properly, and control the thread. Books do not usually explain this well. A fellow tier, or a DVD will allow you to see what to do, and you will quickly learn the proper technique from someone who already knows. This will probably save you hours of frustration, which may lead you to give up tying.

The person I reference in the CD's does this better than anyone I have ever seen.

The reason you can drive a car is because you did not have to recreate the entire learning experience of humanity. We have a collective knowledge we can use.

The guy is British Columbia fly-tier and guide Brad Duplin.

------------------
    - rriver

+ Reply to Thread