gerri:

Thanks for the input. I was thinking along the same lines of using my original jaws with the Clouser Arm. I don't have one but was looking for an excuse to get one.

As far as your granite base is concerned: although it might be pricey to do; you could have a hole drilled through it by someone who has the right type of drill bits and drill motor; maybe the very friend who gave it to you. Then you could call Renzetti and ask to buy just the piece that holds the stem on to the base for a Presentation Vise. That little piece is called a stem support and sits on top of the base. It attaches to the base with a set screw that goes through the bottom of the base into the stem support.

You would need to drill about a 3/8" hole through the granite to accommodate the screw and maybe add a rubber washer between the stem gizmo and the granite. I spoke to Lily at Renzetti, (when I ordered my midge jaws), and she recommended a stainless steel stem replacement for the Traveler when using that stem support since both it and the original Traveler stem are made of aluminum. She quoted me a price for the stem support of $20 and the stainless stem is $16.95. So for $36.95 you could have your granite base.

It might not be portable but it would probably be gorgeous. Post a picture of it if you do it.