+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Renzetti Midge Jaws

Default Renzetti Midge Jaws

I noticed on the Renzetti website that they are now offering cam midge jaws for the Master & Traveler.

I was wondering if anyone has used them and if they offered considerable advantage over the standard jaws on the dinky flies to justify their cost. I was thinking of getting a set for my Master.

Hi Bamboozle,
    I have a set of midge jaws on my Renz Traveler and love them when tying for trout, they are permanently in place. I also have a Clouser arm that I use for tying saltwater flies and keep the original regular jaws on that just to make things easier when switching things around to tie for salt. For the past few years this system has worked well for me and I have not felt the need for a saltwater vise but sometimes I do wish. A friend gave me a gorgeous piece of granite that is about 2 1/2 inches thick and about 6 inches square that would give me a larger footprint as well as a heavier base for my pedestal. If I could figure out how to make the granite base other than permanent and more interchangeable, I think that it would be great for saltwater tying at home. Not very practical for travel though.

gerri:

Thanks for the input. I was thinking along the same lines of using my original jaws with the Clouser Arm. I don't have one but was looking for an excuse to get one.

As far as your granite base is concerned: although it might be pricey to do; you could have a hole drilled through it by someone who has the right type of drill bits and drill motor; maybe the very friend who gave it to you. Then you could call Renzetti and ask to buy just the piece that holds the stem on to the base for a Presentation Vise. That little piece is called a stem support and sits on top of the base. It attaches to the base with a set screw that goes through the bottom of the base into the stem support.

You would need to drill about a 3/8" hole through the granite to accommodate the screw and maybe add a rubber washer between the stem gizmo and the granite. I spoke to Lily at Renzetti, (when I ordered my midge jaws), and she recommended a stainless steel stem replacement for the Traveler when using that stem support since both it and the original Traveler stem are made of aluminum. She quoted me a price for the stem support of $20 and the stainless stem is $16.95. So for $36.95 you could have your granite base.

It might not be portable but it would probably be gorgeous. Post a picture of it if you do it.

+ Reply to Thread