+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Blue Gill Flies

Size 12 light green cricket with legs in the spring and DG's olive bugger added later in the season. Had a consrevation officer watching me catch large gills one year and when he finally came to my boat I asked if he wanted to see my license--"No, I would like to see the fly your using". To stay on good terms I gave him a hand full.

------------------

Bill

Gigmaster- I really like the looks of your Black Widow! I was having trouble getting everything on the size 12 hooks I was using so I substituted some diamond midge braid for the front part instead of the fine chenille I was using. It gave it a nice sparkle. Hope the fish approve. Thanks for sharing your fly!

------------------
    David K. Spencer

Gigmaster -

Is the Black Widow the "Double Hackle" with a red glass bead in the middle?

- Gary

------------------
    "Catch 'em all ~ Put 'em back!"

Visit my [url=http://www.warmwaterangler.net:f701a]Blog[/url:f701a].

Believe it or not, Bluegill in a local lake here go absolutely crazy for a #10 or #12 Royal Stimulator. Sometimes it's pretty close to the size of the fish that are eating it, but there you go. As I have never seen a stonefly anywhere near the lake (not even in the creek that flows out of it), I'm assuming that the bluegill are mistaking the stimulator for a grasshopper. My second favorite is the venerable hare's ear soft hackle nymph.

------------------
    "If we carry purism to it's logical conclusion, to do it right you'd have to live naked in a cave, hit your trout on the head with rocks, and eat them raw. But, so as not to violate another essential element of the fly-fishing tradition, the rocks would have to be quarried in England and cost $300 each."

~John Gierach
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

I've had good success with Al Campbell's EZ Nymph, size 10 or 12, especially with a beadhead. I tie it with natural pheasant tail, but also have success with the fibers dyed olive or black.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hey Genben,

There are lots of good blue gill flies around but I believe as long as brim are in relatively shallow water, gurgles pops are number one, two, and three. Good tying instructions are found on this web site in the Fly of the Week archives.

------------------
    You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

+ Reply to Thread