This is a question for the older tyers in the group who remember Herter's, Fireside Angler and Fly Fisherman's Book Case. All the posts about Avian Flu have raised the question concerning the danger of imported feathers. I was wondering how many of us have Indian and Chinese necks (and saddles) that were imported before the advent of genetic hackle and certainly before Avian Flu. How many took advantage of those days when necks or saddles (except for grizzle) could be had for a couple of bucks each? Funny, but there seemed to be little interest in cree necks back then. Places like Fireside Angler sold 10-12 rooster capes for $10 (sometimes for less) and 10-12 hen necks for $6. Quality ran for surprisingly good to totally unusable. Herter's leaned in the unusable direction and Eric Leiser's Fireside Angler leaned in the surprising good direction.

After that long-wind lead-in, I have two questions. The first is how many of these antique necks do you have hidden away in your collection? I actually took them out and counted. I've got 42 rooster capes and 34 hen necks. I actually thought that the number was larger.

Second question is, Do you use them on a regular basis? My answer is yes but not for hackling #14 and smaller Catskill dry flies or particularly parachutes---the genetic saddles are just so much easier to use. I have an endless supple of tailing material, hackle for soft hackle flies and dry fly hackle for sizes #12 and larger. As suggested in another post they also make really good streamer wings. I find the feather are a little short to do s good hackling job wooly buggers.

How about you? How many do you have stashed away and do you use them on a regular basis? 8T

------------------
You had better learn to be a happy camper. You only get one try at this campground and it's a real short camping season.

[This message has been edited by Eight Thumbs (edited 22 October 2005).]